VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Cheers mate.

No clearance issues at drive height. On motorway cruise low setting you don't want to be turning sharp corners I:

Centres - I tried my old caps on at lunchtime. Looked rubbish so they're staying as they are I think without caps. Might see if I can get a set of black bolts or something a little tidier than my knackered old set of standard bolts!

So thats done. Now onto some cab trimming and a wind out awning ready for the NC500 at May half term.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Disappointed that the standard caps dont work ......i'll have to rethink that .
I tried running my x5 rims without centres for a while but the exposed bit of hub held the water and soon began to go rusty and looked pants .

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Long time no update but that doesn't mean things haven't been happening!

First proper update since the last one was that we went to Devon for a week...

On it's holidays by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Spot the difference by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

At the beach by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

And this happened...

Woops by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Now I've been in two minds for ages about the back bumper. When i broke it last year I decided to fix it instead of replace but this time my hand has been forced so later T5.1 bumper incoming. But while I'm at it I should get the bit of rust at the bottom of the arch sorted shouldn't I? And the scratch from where something fell off the garage roof and hit the van? And the dodgy colour panels on the passenger side? Ah sod it, do the whole thing! So its been dropped off for paint yesterday including coding the door handles etc too. Can't wait to get it back.

It's also just come back from Novaks in Wakefield where its been treated to new 45 profile tyres all round, alignment and a check up of the air ride (since the original install turned out to be a bit of a bodge in places and I've had a load of it off myself!).

New boots, alignment and air ride check over by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

What next then after its paint? Well a Stitches and Steel awning has arrived, just need to grab a chemical bog and then we're off to tour the west coast of Scotland and Skye in a couple of weeks! Never been north of Edinburgh and Glasgow so cannot wait...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Wow what a great read, just spent the last few hours going through it all. Good to see that you still love it after several years of ownership, me and the wife have had ours 8 months now and love it more the longer we own it.

Like you we was talking about getting a camper about 10 years before we actually did and wish we had done it sooner. Couldn’t bear the thought of not having it in our lives anymore lol

Loving all the effort, attention and money you have thrown in to this and will be keeping an eye out for all your updates.

Shocking how much you can spend on these though, think I’ve gone through more then 3k already and my list is bigger now then when I started :eek:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Wow what a great read, just spent the last few hours going through it all. Good to see that you still love it after several years of ownership, me and the wife have had ours 8 months now and love it more the longer we own it.

Like you we was talking about getting a camper about 10 years before we actually did and wish we had done it sooner. Couldn’t bear the thought of not having it in our lives anymore lol

Loving all the effort, attention and money you have thrown in to this and will be keeping an eye out for all your updates.

Shocking how much you can spend on these though, think I’ve gone through more then 3k already and my list is bigger now then when I started :eek:
Cheers! Everytime I get close to thinking it's nearly done, something else always comes up that I want to do. Still got a list of stuff I want to do buts it's getting to where the listis just "nice to haves" rather than stuff we really want/need...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Painted and I'm well pleased with how its looking now...

IMG_0446 by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Didn't do Scotland in the end as the forecast was pretty foul so headed to Dubs In The Middle for a night and then down to the Isle of Wight for 4 nights. 5 nights in the van, 660+ miles to a single tank of fuel and just absolutely loving being in the thing. Speakers in the back is the next job as well as getting my Highline cluster fitted.

·
Vendor
102 Posts
Hey DaveyB,

I must say, this is looking fantastic and I've enjoyed reading through the journey to get this far, some excellent choices made!

I'd love to have a chance to bring you to Brentacre, maybe PM me or call me when you have some time to discuss cover options for yourself?

Keep up the good work, it's a belter A:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Hi Ben. Sorry, just seen this message. Already with Brentacre - have been for years now for the van and the car. Always big up you guys - makes insurance a pain free task!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Update time!

So, when the van was at Novaks it was spotted by a photographer (Lee from WIP Designs - go and check out his work on facebook/IG etc) who works for one of the magazines. Exchanged a few messages and low and behold, its getting a full magazine feature. A 5 hour photoshoot was done in the glamorous location of a disused petrol station in Batley, interview/article done so it should be in print in the next couple of months! Crazy as I've never done anything to do the van to get a feature unlike some in the scene who it seems have the aim to get as much coverage in the magazines as possible so its nice to have my time and hard work recognised.

Anyway, that meant there was jobs to be done.

That highline cluster I've had sat in the garage done by Chris @ Bellman Automotive in Sheffield one rainy Friday evening. Got ANY electrical car problems, he's your man!

Highline cluster retrofit by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Few of my own phone pics from the photoshoot. Was great spending the day with Lee as I do like photography and seeing and talking about the methods etc was brill.

Photo shoot location 1 by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Photo shoot location 2 by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

One from the Isle of Wight at May half term, just because I'm dead please with the way this thing sits now. This was pre alignment and getting rid of the balloon tyres too...

Shopping by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

And been hammering it lately with weekend camping trips...

Masons in the Dales:
Masons by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Waterside House in the Lakes:
Waterside House by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Even mountain passes:
Kirkstone Pass by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Just got rid of our old Khyam awning too which was massive and got a Vango Kela which seems like a real nice bit of kit. First run next weekend in Nidderdale, followed by 3 nights in Rosedale followed by a week down in North Devon surfing!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Cheers mate! Standard bumper should have been something I did ages ago!!

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Where did you buy the bumper Davey and what was the quality and fit like ?

Some 'two-hat reversed into ours and left us with a towball shaped dent hsy:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Got it from Travelinlite in the end. My bodyshop has used a few bits from them in the past including on their own t5 so were happy with the fit etc.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts