VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked her up a couple weeks ago. Higher mileage than I would have liked at 144k but apart from that its exactly what I wanted. Looking forward to getting some mods done. Give us a wave if you see me in the Devon area. Currently in the garage for decat, ECR blanking valve, glow plugs and torsion bar replacements.

More pics to follow

·
Registered
197 Posts
Van looks pretty good and as said 144k is not bad mileage. Mines a 99 and its done 170k + miles and it runs great, I would go anywhere in it no worries T:

·
Registered
336 Posts
MAKES me laugh when people say dont want high mileage,

with modern oils its very rare to get bad engine wear,
another plus is anything that has worn out is likely to have been replaced,
and if anything was going ot break it would have broken long ago,
they are slightly cheaper and chances are they wil be just as good as a lower mileage example,
must say im talking 2.5tdi here, but i have seen 1.9td with 250k on it taking the engine aoart there was virtually no wear on big ends or bores ,
if it hasnt been serviced properly obviously the story will be different,
personally i change oil and filter at 5 k
air filter fuel filter every year,
everything is checked at 6 monthly intervals regardles of mileage covered,
meaning wheels off and a thorough check over including steering joints bushes ect,
all door hinges oiled, locks powdered etc etc, i even oil the u,j,s in the steering column!
overboard maybe, but it works for me and my old bus!!
it regularly does 1300 imile trips non stop between spain and uk, engine only switched off and fuel and pee stops,
no problem!

·
Registered
409 Posts
MAKES me laugh when people say dont want high mileage,

with modern oils its very rare to get bad engine wear,
another plus is anything that has worn out is likely to have been replaced,
and if anything was going ot break it would have broken long ago,
they are slightly cheaper and chances are they wil be just as good as a lower mileage example,
must say im talking 2.5tdi here, but i have seen 1.9td with 250k on it taking the engine aoart there was virtually no wear on big ends or bores ,
if it hasnt been serviced properly obviously the story will be different,
personally i change oil and filter at 5 k
air filter fuel filter every year,
everything is checked at 6 monthly intervals regardles of mileage covered,
meaning wheels off and a thorough check over including steering joints bushes ect,
all door hinges oiled, locks powdered etc etc, i even oil the u,j,s in the steering column!
overboard maybe, but it works for me and my old bus!!
it regularly does 1300 imile trips non stop between spain and uk, engine only switched off and fuel and pee stops,
no problem!
- This was the generation of good quality well built and not overly complicated engines, before it all went t*ts up. After about 2003 it became a lottery, regardless of service history and oil quality (although i'm not denying the benefit of these of course). It was more about reducing emissions and reducing manufacturing costs whilst at the same time increasing repair costs for the poor owner. My wifes 2008 Audi A3 blew up on boxing day - full dealer history and 105,000 miles. The big ends were totally destroyed, worn to thickness of tissue paper and the crank was wrecked. My t4 has 140,000 and i would trust it to take me round the country before i would with any modern diesel. Good luck with your new van mate, just look at my post on diesel purge if it starts to get a bit smoky.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
- This was the generation of good quality well built and not overly complicated engines, before it all went t*ts up. After about 2003 it became a lottery, regardless of service history and oil quality (although i'm not denying the benefit of these of course). It was more about reducing emissions and reducing manufacturing costs whilst at the same time increasing repair costs for the poor owner. My wifes 2008 Audi A3 blew up on boxing day - full dealer history and 105,000 miles. The big ends were totally destroyed, worn to thickness of tissue paper and the crank was wrecked. My t4 has 140,000 and i would trust it to take me round the country before i would with any modern diesel. Good luck with your new van mate, just look at my post on diesel purge if it starts to get a bit smoky.
Funny you should mention 2003. I heard that about that time, the accountants took over from the engineers and VW quality went down from that point. I don't know if the quality ever recovered but my wife had a 1998 VW Polo and although it is now owned by someone else, it is still going strong whereas newer ones are having all sorts of problems with poor quality parts, like the coils over spark plugs, corrosion etc. There was a period that this happened, I don't know what year it became better or if it ever did.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I actually think the quality disappeared in 2002, this is around the same time the computer becomes king,

such as on passat, having to inform the ecu that you are going to change the rear pads so it will let the pistons go back in! WTF!
And a host of other unwanted things, even on the t4 the ecu became more complicated and obscure all so you will take it to the stealer to fix, as they are the ones with the correct computers etc

my 97 is great ! very few sensors and those that are on it are durable and tough so i get all the benefits of the 2.5tdi and none of the hassles! love it!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I actually think the quality disappeared in 2002, this is around the same time the computer becomes king,

such as on passat, having to inform the ecu that you are going to change the rear pads so it will let the pistons go back in! WTF!
And a host of other unwanted things, even on the t4 the ecu became more complicated and obscure all so you will take it to the stealer to fix, as they are the ones with the correct computers etc

my 97 is great ! very few sensors and those that are on it are durable and tough so i get all the benefits of the 2.5tdi and none of the hassles! love it!
I love my 1999 model 2.5TDI acv ex AA van.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Agree your van is only just about run in T:. I don't want to be a party pooper but I would check the load rating of those wheels, they look like ordinary car wheels to me but I may well be wrong of course:* Assuming that having car wheels on a van bothers you of course!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts