VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the plunge , finally and here is our first 'T' as she arrived with no mods (yet) from me! I:

Outside:

Inside:

Plans now are:

• Move the double passenger seat back to the front
  • Swivel seat bases in the front
  • Move 3-seat bench forward slightly (if possible, I think there are a set of mounts a bit further forward, will have to see if it'll fit with a table)
  • A fold away table on the non sliding door side
  • A kitchen pod of some sort for the back (cant quite decide on which one yet)
  • Retrofit cruise control (with trip function if it will take it)
  • Roof mounted DVD for the kids in the back
  • New double DIN DAB stereo up front (inc reverse cam and some upgraded speakers that the DVD will play through)
  • Possibly some different headlights or just brighter bulbs
  • Move DRLS to bumper corners between headlights and fog lights (currently positioned in the centre above number plate)
  • LED Rear lights (new light units or just bulbs to brighten the light from current ones which are quite dark, as are side repeaters)
  • Some seat covers and curtains
  • Sound deadening in the cab (rear is insulated and looks to have sound deadening in there already so will have to see if front is done?)
  • Winter wheels and tyres and refurbish the ones currently fitted
That's it for now but I'm sure this list will get much longer (just don't tell the wife)

Any suggestions advice and feedback would be awesome.

Cheers

Chris :jmpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate!

Previous owner put his stamp on it, most of which I like but want to make it my own now and fit our needs better. Don't want to go full camper conversion as think it will just be too small for 5 of us. But if we can make it usable for us with our tent for camping and a bus we can take on day trips and have the ability to make a brew at the beach or something then I'll be more than happy.

:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning has been taken up with figuring out why the front fog lights didn’t work. No fuse box diagram meant guesswork there but it turned out to be a faulty relay. When the kit was fitted (before my time) the relay was screwed to the front panel next to the radiator, it seems to have rubbed and worn through the plastic cover right next to the contacts which have then corroded. Cleaned them up and bingo!

I had already took the lamp out of the drivers side one (PITA) cos could’nt see how black inserts come out and didn’t want to break them so went in through the bottom. This was all burned up but still works so some new bulbs to order, any recommendations? I would like a nice bright white light but want to stick with halogen rather than LED?

Can anyone tell me what bumper I have in the pictures above? Want to be able to take out the fog lamps as drivers side has a crack, seems as though they should just pull out but up close they look like they are part of the bumper rather than inserts.

CheersT:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a lot of progress this week too busy at work and the usual after school club runs. I have been researching my Cruise Control retro-fit and should be getting that ordered soon along with all the bits needed to fit the double seat in the front (just some extra studs according to local VW Van centre).

I've also been looking at roof mounted DVD/TV's for some kiddy entertainment whilst on the road, seen loads of diffrent ones and quite like the look of the Xtrons unit http://xtrons.co.uk/cr1506sblack-fv006-15-6-1080p-video-hd-monitor-wide-screen-overhead-dvd-player-with-hdmi-port-with-tv-box.html not sure on quality though? Any suggestions?

Hopefully I can get it all ordered and fitted before Christmas and the long drive from Scotland to Somerset! I would like to swap out my diy DRL's for some that fit in the T5.1 bumper corner inserts like these https://travelinlite-transporters.co.uk/collections/t5-1/products/t5-drl-kit-2010-2015-facelift-gp?variant=31847592400 also need new foglamp for the drivers side as its cracked and some new, brighter, bulbs, may upgrade to LED if they are any good and actually work as fog lights.

The list (and bill) keeps getting bigger :*

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cruise control bits ‘n’ bobs arrived in the post today, hopefully get round to fitting that this weekend
Just got to read up on the fitting process. The instructions mention noting down a battery code before removing, any idea what this is or does it mean radio code?
Then I’ll find someone that can activate it all in VCDS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it took a while but the Cruise Control and MFA/DIS kit I got from Vagnostics is all fitted, just awaiting a trip to the dealer to get it activated. Fingers crossed I'll get that done this week at some point.

It was pretty fiddly but the instructions that came with the kit were pretty good with only a couple of points where I couldn't figure out what was going on, mainly where to find the relay in the cab and connecting the single wire to the plug right at the bottom of the E-Box in the engine bay. A quick search on here though and there are a couple of really useful threads. This one https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=329242 is a detailed how to particularly useful if you need to change you BCM to accommodate the cruise control, a shame that the pictures don't show up though. This one https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=269550 has the instructions for the MFA/DIS wiring and which pin numbers to connect the 3 extra wires to which I didn't have with my kit.

All in all, a not too difficult job that is very achievable at home, just give yourself plenty of time. I didn't and ran out of day light the first day leaving the van immobilised and in bits on the drive for a week and me having to scrounge a lift to work and back.
Hopefully it all works for the long drive south for Christmas in a couple of weeks, then once I've recovered form the Christmas festivities I'll move on to sorting out the interior how I want it.

*<:)>

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It's great when you can just take your time and do wee jobs along the way. I've had my bus 3 years and I'm still adding bits here and there.

Where are you heading on your up and coming trip? Don't forget the photos!! T:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do enjoy tinkering!

Although all was well on a short test drive when I finished last night, when we've been out in her today the ESP light has come on and stays on! Owners manual says that this can happen when battery is reconnected and to drive for a while at 15-20kph it should go out. Not sure why it didn't come on straight away though? The reverse sensors don't appear to be working either :*

Oh well something else to fix!

We are heading from North east Scotland down to Somerset to stay with family for Christmas (weather permitting)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally managed to get the CCS and MFD activated this evening. I took it to VW this morning but they called me after a couple of hours saying they needed some sort of code and they couldn’t do it without.

Thanks to Matt at Vagnostics,who I got the kit from, who called me straight back after leaving a message and talked me through the process in VAGCOM/VCDS. The dealer doesn’t have that only ODIS which is a more complicated process apparently. Luckily a mate happens to have VCDS at his garage and we got it sorted in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some nice trips in the pipeline for next year, hopefully do a bit of exploring around the North of Scotland. We have a tent we bought from go outdoors a few years ago that, with the porch attached, will butt up close enough to the back/side of the van to use the kitchen pod (when I decide on one!) Don't want to spend out more on an awning if I can get away with it when we already have this tent. If I remember right and without going into the garage to check we have this https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-voyager-eclipse-6-tent-p429717 with the porch. Should be able to make it work for us

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been a bit quiet over Christmas, not a lot done. We travelled from north east Scotland to Somerset and stayed with family so not a lot of access to tools to get anything done. I did, however get my stereo bought and fitted! A:

Previous owner had fitted a single din JVC unit that, was ok but annoyed me with its lack of radio pre-sets, it also started to lose radio signal on the 600 mile journey south meaning Spotify took a hammering (thank god for a big data package on my mobile contract!). I ordered a Kenwood DMX-7017DABS from caraudiosecurity.com after a recommendation from another forum, it was also under £300 which is cheapest I found it (I nearly bought from Halfords the week before for £50+ more!). Absolut5 supplied the fitting kit which I collected from him as I was only 30 odd miles away, very helpful and knowledgeable, took the time to show me exactly how to fit it all in the van, even fitting bullet connectors to the rear speaker wires ready for me to just plug and play!

When I got to removing the old unit, I found the reason behind the poor radio signal was an aftermarket FM aerial tucked behind the radio in the dash. There was also no CAN adapter meaning it was constantly powered and I had to take the face off to avoid killing the battery. I suspect this was also behind the radio reception getting worse when I selected reverse! I removed everything, just leaving the factory harness connection and FM connecter then fitted the Absolut5 supplied CAN adapter, FM/DAB adapter, screen mounted DAB antenna and flush mount kit for the Kenwood, along with the stereo itself, which includes a handsfree mic and GPS receiver (fitted to A-pillar and under dash respectively).

It all went in really easy and I am really happy with the result, I have wanted to upgrade to DAB in my cars for ages and it is so much better for choice of stations and sound quality compared to the standard FM. The Apple CarPlay also worked perfectly on the way back up to Scotland from Somerset with Apple Maps directing us all the way on the Kenwood's screen.

I'll post some pics in a bit.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I looked at these in halfords last week ....how much more did you need to spend on bits and bobs to get it in ,up and running?

I've got a couple of amps and a few bits i'd like to add at some stage .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at these in halfords last week ....how much more did you need to spend on bits and bobs to get it in ,up and running?

I've got a couple of amps and a few bits i'd like to add at some stage .

The stereo was £305 inc delivery from www.caraudiosecurity.com, Absolut5 supplied the fitting kit for £110 inc flush fit kit, screen mount dab aerial, FM adapter and CANBUS adapter. He can sort extras if you have MFSW or if you want to go for a roof mounted beesting aerial.

I’ll upgrade the speakers at some point add tweeters to the factory pods etc. Got more important things to spend my money on though to get it how I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a wireless reversing camera to fit too once I figure out which wires to splice into at the back and whether I need a reversing feed too

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info T:

How do you rate it?

Still gotta look at the pioneer and alpine options yet :rolleyes:
I'm very pleased with it! I was drawn to this one because of the EISA Best Product award that's shown in the pictures as well as a best buy from Auto Express magazine too. It does everything I want it to do and probably a lot more! Absolut5 on here said it is one of the best units you can buy for the price when I was doing my research (think there is a thread on here somewhere).
DAB signal is better than I was expecting with the screen mount antenna too, it only lost signal on the journey back up to Scotland on a section of the A9 where you are surrounded by mountains, other than that its great. I might upgrade to a roof mount one in the future but will see what happens.

I have heard that the Pioneer and Alpine units are very good too, all comes down to personal choice at the end of the day I suppose.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts