VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Rake, please can I have the price list, I have Bosch injectors but want the ones with your nozzles, hybrid turbo and down pipe. Ta

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I am rebuilding mine at home with the .216 nozzles. I have ordered a pop tester and some shims and nozzles. These nozzles are the ones used in the Audi AEL and the Volvo V70 engines.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does this come with a shovel, brush and wheel barrow so you can walk back up the road collecting the bits and shrapnel after Percy the piston has his coming out party....

Sounds great mate!!

R

·
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Does this come with a shovel, brush and wheel barrow so you can walk back up the road collecting the bits and shrapnel after Percy the piston has his coming out party....

Sounds great mate!!

R
No need for those items. We have quite a few out there and no reason for engine failure at all.
Steven C has been running 217 bhp for well over a year and loved it.

·
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am rebuilding mine at home with the .216 nozzles. I have ordered a pop tester and some shims and nozzles. These nozzles are the ones used in the Audi AEL and the Volvo V70 engines.
Good luck metering the fuel flow between the two opening stages with a pop tester. These require a 2 stage test bench to set up correctly. NOP1 can be set but...

Nozzle Opening Pressure (NOP2) cannot be detected by measuring only pressure or only flow. Similarly injected delivery alone does not give an indication of NOP2.

I hope the nozzles you got are genuine and not those sold on eBay as Bosch by a seller called the blue abyss.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Can highly recommend Rakes conversion T:just got mine remapped after fitting Turbo with down pipe and a set of injectors and now have 180bhp no smoke and enough grunt to pull tree stumps out the ground :D could have gone higher still if I wanted too but it's plenty for now T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
When running 217hp what does it do to the MPG ... does it drop through the floor or generally improve due to the engine not working so hard ... T:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When running 217hp what does it do to the MPG ... does it drop through the floor or generally improve due to the engine not working so hard ... T:
Regardless of what anyone says or advertises you can't make power without fuel.driven reasonable and it will be not much different to a standard van,Thrape it and watch your gauge go down a lot quicker :D

·
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As long nose said - driven sensibly economy can improve, driven for perfomance - you use more fuel.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
When I was 23 (MANY YEARS AGO!), I had an American motorhome. (Dodge chassis, Superior body)
8.5 litres, 3 speed auto, and weighed 5.5 ton.
(Strangely, insurance company never complained about the weight, or the 8 seats, for a 23 year old.....they only wanted £1200/quarter fully comp insurance, or 365/yr TPFT).....back in 1980....how much did anyone earn then?

Fuel gauge used to move faster than the speedo! (4mpg when I bought it, almost 12 when I "tuned it").....
Still, it beat a 2 litre Ford Siera up a hill out of the Lake District :D

·
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wise words Gaz

The moral of the story is displacement = high fuel consumption

Bhp is not directly proportional to displacement

·
Registered
365 Posts
Question for any of you guys who are running this sweet turbo. Are you using standard clutches and O2G gearboxes? Any issues with clutch slip etc?

Rake, Please send me some prices for the turbo, downpipe and injectors, cheers

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Question for any of you guys who are running this sweet turbo. Are you using standard clutches and O2G gearboxes? Any issues with clutch slip etc?

Rake, Please send me some prices for the turbo, downpipe and injectors, cheers
I put a new flywheel and clutch in prior to the turbo and injectors just because it's an old van in reality,the 102bhp has a stronger box over the 88bhp but as long as you treat it all sympathetically i.e. Not screeching away from the lights too often apparently there fine T:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
300 bhp, in a van?

Are you guys insane??

Sounds amazing!!!

I expect that doing some thing silly, like letting the clutch out, would destroy the transmission pretty quickly.

My AJT had a mild remap (140) hp at 100K then destroyed the clutch and both drive shafts 70K later

Put another way 170 K out of a clutch and drive shafts is not unacceptable.

Coming at it from another angle 300 is over 4 times the AJT's original output. It must be near enough undrivable, a bit like the Series Landie I dropped a 250 hp Rover V8 into. That was a right giggle box too!!!!

Rhys

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Coming at it from another angle 300 is over 4 times the AJT's original output. It must be near enough undrivable, a bit like the Series Landie I dropped a 250 hp Rover V8 into. That was a right giggle box too!!!!

Rhys
I put a bored and stroked Ford V6 (3.2L) into an S3 Landie.
265bhp, and it ATE half shafts (the short rear one).
I got it down to 25 mins to remove the diff, the shaft, and fit a new one..... and once did it in Leeds city centre at rush hour!
Always carried 2 spares, an oil container, and spare oil for the diff.
2 spanner job, and didn't even need a jack A:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sticking a Salisbury in there cured that one.

Then again, if the half shafts had not gone it would have been the gearbox - which takes more than 25 minutes to change, 45 at least....

My V8 which was an SD1 to start with, got treated to a gas flow, piper 270, cloyes gear, anti pump lifters and lumenition, would not have been much shy of 260 bhp - the torque though might have trumped the ford.

It would pull 6000 in top with the O/D in. Which is pretty insane for a series land rover on 7.50-16 tyres

R

21 - 40 of 49 Posts