VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

I have a leak but i cant find it. Some months ago i had a leak in the rear of the van. It was the tailgate brake light.
New light on and tailgate realigned a little all good.
Also sliders was leaking, new windows in all good.
Left the carpet out for a month to confirm and hose/jet wash/heavy rain all good.
Carpet back in, strange smell gone happy days.
Until last week was hoovering out the back and around where the seats meet the floor as i pushed down water came up!
Stripped everything out and water was under carpet again, not as much as before and it seemed to be only central not near the sides.
I jet washed the hell out of the tail gate all the way round and all around the windows not a drop.
Checked all in footwells on top of carpet all dry and got my hand under the handbrake area dry aswell.
Also under the seats where the wiring is all dry.
Matts been out for about 3 weeks now in front of a radiator and vans been washed and rained on still nothing.
Also before it was put back in the first time is was bone dry.
Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No roof bars,did check they was tight.i did blast the slider area alot and took the panel out all dry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ahh sounds like a very similar issue to mine then.. Did you have insulation up before? Did that make a difference? I had a dehumidifier running in my van last night, just about to go and check if it's helped at all

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh sounds like a very similar issue to mine then.. Did you have insulation up before? Did that make a difference? I had a dehumidifier running in my van last night, just about to go and check if it's helped at all
No insolation is new.i only noticed when i was down in the rear wheel arches putting some in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah OK, was thinking that if it's a condensation problem, the insulation should stop this happening, acting as a thermal break and a vapour barrier. Was interested to find out if this cures the issue for you

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah OK, was thinking that if it's a condensation problem, the insulation should stop this happening, acting as a thermal break and a vapour barrier. Was interested to find out if this cures the issue for you
I think its moved it to the coldest panel which i have sorted and i also have no roof up at the min.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well checked my van interior after a few days of rain and snow, and pleasantly surprised that there's no new water inside the van after running the dehumidifier! Seems like it was just condensation after all!!

Mt theory is that because of the corrugated roof, there is more surface area for vapour to condense, leading to much more water.. As soon as its dried out and the weather is warm enough, I shall cover the whole roof with closed cell foam which should help cure this issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update after running full insolation for a couple of weeks i have unpacked it to find....
More water!decent size pool and also on top of the slam vents.
The insolation above that area was wet also.
Going to strip it off again and may order a new bung seal for the rear lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts