VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a near disaster today with my recently aquired 2.5 Tdi T5 ( 2005 )
I've had it for 3 months now and simply enjoy owning and using it to transport my young family around. the engine (130 Bhp) is strong and pulls well ( even better after a recent ECU remap )
Last night , after a 15 mile drive I parked up outside our local cinema waiting for my kids to come (ignition off) out and I noticed after a few minutes (3-4 mins) what I thought was steam evaporating off the (wet?) bonnet then I realized it was smoke! I released the bonnet catch to lift the bonnet and noticed once it was raised there was a small flame licking away out of direct sight under the pipes on the Left of center (facing engine) side. This was accompanied by smoke and odour of burning plastic. In about 5 seconds the flames began to gain momentum and I had a huge moment of panic as i had no access to any form of fire extinguishing material or liquid. In sheer desperation I was shouting for help - No one around near enough to notice! I was torn between trying to move the car away from others parked next to me and wanting to do ANYTHING to save my car - meanwhile the flames were about to take hold as i feverishly searched for anything to pour over the flames. I was frantic! Then I remembered the bottle of Lucozade that my son had left for me in the near side door binnacle. I poured the contents over the area of flames in the nick of time and JUST managed to douse the flames. WTF!! What has just happened to my pride and joy???? Had I elected to wait in the cinema the van would have been up in flames for sure and worse things might have happened in that packed car park.
Can any one give me a clue at what may have caused this? All the garages are closed just now so I have some time to decide according to what you guys may suggest. Has anyone had or heard of anything similar happening in the engine room?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had just pulled off the motorway after an hour of hot summer driving ,fans kicked in , noticed smoke from the engine ,pulled up fast told the wife to get out ,popped the bonnet .

Both fans were still on but smoke was billowing from the offside fan ,like you I had no means of extinguishing it .

The fan ran , with the wiring burning until the temp dropped .

I disconnected the fan when I could and drove home .

No fuses blew ,on removing the fan I found all the wiring on the fan itself burn out .

Everyone needs an extinguisher .

Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been for you .

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Everyone needs an extinguisher ..
Far, far important than huge rims/rubber band tyres & all the other "bling" - then again no-ones going to pull up at a meet & say "hey, look at my new 13kg Fire Extinguisher" are they ?

I've lost count of the amount of times I've put out someonelse's vehicle fire with my extinguisher over the years.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,305 Posts
I remember there was a recall for some early vans for a 'possible fire risk' to do with the wiring for the cooling fans depending on chassis no. You could ask a VW dealer if yours is one of those. (I wouldn't mention the fire at first though) ;) I can't see them paying up in full but they might make a contribution.

See what the costs are and compare them with a local sparkie because wiring fires can get expensive depending on how much wiring is burned and where it is. Insurance co is a good call depending on your excess. Good luck. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts