VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum here. Haven't bought my van yet so I'm looking for some advice with what to watch out for, where to look and an idea of how much it should cost me.

The vans going to be used for my band. I'm 21 so it needs to be a 1.9 for insurance to be bearable, and I've read so many bad things about the non-turbo I'm set on the 1.9 TD.

Is there anywhere better to look for these vans rather than ebay? Like any ex fleets that had the 1.9TD? If you know of anything like that, that'd be great.

I'm hoping to get a decent van with mileage not too high above 100k, with little or no rust and preferably the newer model with the blue light dash. Is it being over hopeful waiting it out to see if something comes up on ebay between £1500 and £3500? or should I be thinking about getting a loan and spending a bit more?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
hi,yr budgets ok,service history is what you want,autotrader on line is better than ebay i found for genuine straight vans.
mileage wise,the expensive job is cambelts/waterpump.every 60k or 4 years,if its on 119k,its a £300-£500 bill soon.
just check everything works,press all the switches.make sure its a cold engine on the first fire up,a warm one will always start better.drive it or at least passenger,listen for knocks/rattles.body wise,only really arches/fuel cap that rust.check sliding door for wear,and door seals for rips,under bonnet,oil leaks/tapping vac pumps.
search the forum,all the info has been covered previously
good luckT:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts