VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years of ownership and lots of trawling through this forum, I finally got around (and permission!!) to convert my van. I must admit that lockdown has helped, as it allowed me the time (and no excuses) to crack on with it. So I wanted to say thanks and show what/how I've done it. Maybe even inspire someone else with how to do their LWB twin slider???

This was the starting point 5 years ago - as purchased. Not a bad spec for a kombi, with a few decent options: 140PS, 6 spd manual with 18" sportline alloys, xenon headlights with daytime running lights, multifunction steering wheel, heated mirrors, Kenwood with satnav, rear aux heater, heated captain seats, tailgate and removable towbar.

So one of the first jobs back then was a trip to my brother-in-law's for some help with H&R 40mm lowering springs. Sitting much better:

More to follow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another early job was Sportcraft swivels on the front seats, but they do raise the seat a bit. Wife complained and to be honest when facing the rear, they were a bit high for me too. But they were useful for the first 5 years...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Minivan

Standard rear apart from the aux heater - again, a useful bit of kit in the winter in an open plan LWB

Vehicle Car Van Minivan

Basic overnighting for 1 in the early days, with stick on South West Camper screens for the rear and a Silver Screen on the front (next pic)...

Room Vehicle Car Van

Ready for action the next day :cool:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport City car

Premium Member
You looked to be better set up than I was for my first night camping 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In terms of the main conversion, I was lucky that I just got the pop-top fitted before the end of March lockdown, so I was then able to carry on and do the rest myself. The usual roof debates/dilemmas/compromises, but I decided on a Reimo superflat and I still think (hope) it will be right for us. I got the company to do the carpet lining with hidden clips. It made sense for them to trim it at the same time and tbh I really didn't fancy it, as I didn't think I'd do a good enough job. I also got them to fit a front splitter (plus fog lights) and rear spoiler while they were colour coding the roof. A tidy but subtle enhancement I think.

Vehicle Car Mode of transport Van Minivan
Vehicle Car Mode of transport Transport Commercial vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Van

Premium Member
Not another orange mtb :eek: that's 3 of us that have been tango'd 馃槀
I'm actually just looking into pop tops, think it's going to be one of the next big buys.
Insides looking tidy mate (y)

Reactions: smoz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to say - I did the silentcoat, thermoliner and insulation before the van was carpet lined. Pretty straight forward job in the rear. Front/cab is a bit more involved due to removing trim/headlining. The combination of this and carpeting made a huge difference to noise and temperature (lower on hot days and warmer on cold days).
Note: I removed the original stuff I put on the wheel arches and replaced with silent coat - much better.

Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Technology
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Car Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Trunk Vehicle door

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Floor Rails:
First big task for me was Cali floor rails and new floor. I had someone lined up to fit the rails, but due to Covid that couldn't happen. So I bought all the parts (genuine) and a set of Cali seats and went for it myself.
Auto part

A couple of holes for the rails lined up with the Kombi seat fixings, so that gave me a nice starting point.
Door Metal

Then it was a matter of measuring, checking and measuring again before drilling and priming. I drilled 10mm holes and had no issues lining everything up - just need to be careful and reasonably accurate.
Vehicle Car Auto part Family car Trunk

I also taped over any surplus kombi seat fixing holes and the tie down holes.
Metal Automotive exterior Auto part Grille Plastic

Fixing was ok except for one location - where I needed to use this for the first time ever! 馃槀
Wall Brick Pipe

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The main issue I had was getting under the van.
Big thanks to Richard at Kernow Transporters for the kit, seats and help (y)

Time for a cuppa and a decision on colour before starting the floor...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Next was the ply floor, topped off with Altro Walkway.
A few niggles and I didn't enjoy trimming the Altro, but it's turned out ok and I'm quite happy with it. California steps went in to match up to the new floor height. Then time to try out the Cali seat/bed - and it all worked!

Vehicle Floor Car Vehicle door Auto part

Premium Member
Looks good! Reminds me I need a threshold strip to finish off my flooring into the cab.

Reactions: smoz

Registered
It's a Flare :) built it 2 years ago from a second hand frame and really enjoying it. What's yours and where do you usually ride?

bfe hardtail which i've had for about a year and a half i think i love it. based in south wales so usually around there, occasional trip to bike park wales, when working (if i ever work again) i try and ride peaslake as much as time allows

1 - 20 of 22 Posts