VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd better introduce myself...

I'm Mike and I've currently got a T2 on the driveway of a mates that we are doing up.

However he wants to sell up once finished so I have decided its a T4 for me :)

The question I have is this; I want a diesel - are there any choices to be made between the 1.9 and the 2.5? any horror stories advising one or the other to avoid? Or is there nothing in it other than the obvious power difference?

thanks in advance as the search for my next VW begins.....

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi Mike,

Ive just bought my second T4 a 2.5tdi 130bhp multi van. My first was a 1.9tdi panel van remapped to around 100bhp. Obviously i loved my 1.9 and never thought i'd need anything bigger as it sat comfortably a 70mph and was still powerful enough to pull up the hills on the A361. Really strong engine but you felt sorry for it if you went anything over 75mph on the motorway (would scream at you).

Have had my 2.5tdi for just over 4weeks now and i absolutely love it! Drives effortlessly on the motorway and still allows you to put your foot down all the way to the top 90's. Sits really nicely at 85mph and still doesn't guzzle much diesel. Is literally like driving a car. I now don't know how i use to drive a 1.9.

So really i think it depends on what speed you want to sit at. If i hadn't of driven a 2.5 i would have been non the wiser. From what I've read both engines are bomb proof and will do many a mile. Think i use to get about 38mpg siting at 70 in my old van. I filled my new van up when i got it (80lts) and have a just under a quarter of a tank left and have covered 530miles (motor way and town) so i reckon its going to do about the same.

If your after a cheap 2.5ltr look around central london as they have to have a emissions converter on by the 10th of this month or the owner faces a £100 a day fine. Gen! Thats where i got mine from and for a steal of a price.

If you get a 1.9 then i would defiantly recommend getting it remapped. Think i paid around £350 5years ago to get mine done and it made the biggest difference.

Hope this helps

Jonah

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Welcome!

What do you need the T4 for?
There are atleast 4 different outputs from the 5-pot 2.5 liter
All can be quite safely tuned.
Your needs & the depth of your pocket decideI:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have owned my first T4 for about 3 months now.
Its a 2.5 TDI avc engine code and its awesome to drive, it pulls like a rocket from the light and cruises at 80 easily, I "tested" the top speed on an empty dual carriagway and I bottled it at 109mph, the van was still pulling faster though.T:

:cool: I also have to attend a "speed awareness" course in a few weeks though:(

I think I should go to court and plead that the sheer Grin factor got the better of me.:D :ILU:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
1.9td all the way if you're like me and love the old Volkswagens, as IMO the 1.9td is the most reliable, the cheapest and easiest to maintain and still (and this is what I love about it) has the character of an older Volkswagen...

If I want to travel at speed I use the Audi Quattro, but much prefer the van... T:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome - essentially the van is going to be used for getting away to the water and rock at weekends and holidays. I have a family of 5 and the teens "need their space" when travelling, so I was looking for an empty van I can fit out or a 5 seater. Its not going to be used on a daily basis as I have a bike for getting to work, so it needs to be able to pull 2 adults and 3 teenagers plus personal and camping kit - and occasionally our trailer full of gear with bikes, kayaks and the canoe.... I won't cruise much faster than 85 down the motorways.

Sounds like both engines are bombproof, which is good as when I find the right van - it won't really matter what engine is in it :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forums thoughts on the following....

An X (2000) plate 1.9Td with 122K on the clock for £3K (Empty in back)
An S (1999) plate 2.4 with 150K on the clock £1500 (Empty in back)
An X (2000) plate 2.5Tdi with 179K on the clock £2500 (a few units and lining)

All look straight and tidy and ripe for conversion.

all help appreciated :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome mate,

Ive got a 1.9D T4 (non turbo) runs on anything LOL and i get millions of miles per gallon and it gets upto 85mph (not that i do 85 as the speed limit is only 70!)

Either way everyone on here will back me on this, it doesnt matter which 1 you get you will love it!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Forums thoughts on the following....

An X (2000) plate 1.9Td with 122K on the clock for £3K (Empty in back)
An S (1999) plate 2.4 with 150K on the clock £1500 (Empty in back)
An X (2000) plate 2.5Tdi with 179K on the clock £2500 (a few units and lining)

All look straight and tidy and ripe for conversion.

all help appreciated :)
My choice would be the 2.5tdi

The mileage is nothing, you can use what's inside the back or ditch it.
More power to play with, and depending on the engine easier/cheaper to modify/tune.

My preference anyway.

Brooster

1 - 14 of 14 Posts