VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first...

After months of searching I finally found my first T4. A 96, 800 special. After only 4 weeks from purcahse my girlfriend has already threatened to leave me and the bank will soon screw me. Oh well eh.

Picked this beauty up for a good price with 160k on the clock. After a little TLC in the engine and on the suspension the mods could begin.

The beginning...

First of all was to get some style on the side as it was a little plain,as well as side bars (ebay)

while im here...I can create personalised art for your van if you are interested? (I used to do art prints in my spare time) Tell me what you are after and I can knock designs up for you (a wee bit of cash involved for the design and fit, will quote) The designs can either be viynl or full printed wraps (like taxi's for example - my van wrapping contact is in sheffield) Take a look at my web site to see the sorts of things that Ive done - http://www.art-4.org.uk/

design:

3 colour vinyl wrapping:

The finished design:

just lowered it on some 50mm springs from T4rus. very easy and a very nice ride:

stripped the back out, needs some tidying. removed half bulk head and bought some buckets of flea bay ready for install. (any one want a double passneger seat with base for a good price, also a steering wheel,gear knob extension and rear springs as I have acquired new ones?)

buckets going in...not checked yet but im sure I will have to make some modificaions to fit my bases?

missis away for weekend so its a 6:00am start on the beast, no complaints get in. will keep the posts going.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Cool start.

I always fancied a big, comic book style wolverine on the side of my bus, similar to the old "hulk" hot wheels models.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bit more progress after having fuel pump reconditioned, cam belt changed amongst other things

Cut the bulk head out - grinder
took out the seat bases and steam cleaned.

bought a single seat base for passenger and fitted the buckets, also off ebay (you gotta love it) - had to modify base slightly with a piece of steel section - also had to modify and add seat belt buckles.
waiting for pay day - set of swivels or windows (can't decide?)

fitted a chrome extension and cue ball gear knob, customised it with a little VW sticker. bought a interior mat from mega van mats - cleans floor up

got a good price on a momo race steering wheel (ebay, boring). had to get a boss kit (expensive for what they are). in the process of changing heater control as one of the cables had bent and the clips had snapped. managed to find one off a mk4 polo, same as.

next job is to sort the rusty sectons out in the back, hammerite maybe, or can anyone reccomend another option?
thanks to all the people who have advised me thus far - appreciate it!
mmmmhhhh - what next?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(jean- Genie - think my vinyl wrap mate is away at the minute. Ihave contacted him and awaiting reply)

bit more progress (missis away for a week - RESULT - sorry missis)
There was some water under the rubber mat in the cab so I decided to pull it out to dry it off, also gives me a chance to clean the hell out of it, muchos everywhere.
(thinking of srayng mat, some one on here has done it and says a light coat works - not sure?)

dirt!

applying some flash tape on panels and arches (from toolstation - pretty good price)

a bit done - sleep

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bloody cold to do much. thought whilst I had some bits out of my cab id give them a lick of paint, frreshen them up. Got some anti static de-greaser,this stuff strips the t*ts off anything, I really recommend it. (got it from a replacement panel shop in my town)

sprayed a few bits

thought whilst I was there I would spray my interior rubber mat. It has come up really good, I thought Id have problems with it cracking etc. but a few light coats and a bit of care and its sweet

thing is whilst mat has been out I have found a leak somewhere after heavy rain, sealed a few holes in bulk head and am waiting to do a hose test on the window to seal if the seal has gone, so the bits are abandoned until I find the source.

slow going in the darkness, cold and the jip from her indoors. dam them all. will try and do the dash and door cards when I find a 32hr day!:D

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunday. No rain. girlfriend in bed with hangover. result.

Bit more done. flew into more spraying today. went all out, bull in a china shop style. Decided to spray all the bits I could in the front. Here's what I used. Stripped back with de greaser, a couple of coats of primer, couple of coats of matt black.

before....

and after...
they have come up sweet. wont want to put my foot inside her after they go back on though.

decided the dash needed a lick. found a post on here for ideas (sorry can't remember who? will quote next time) masked all up and began.

getting dark....

now waiting to dry...

the light wont stop me! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there looking good, i was hoping you might be able to help me im in the same position as you. I brought mine about 8 weeks ago and trying to sort it all out, i brought the same seats 2 weeks ago and not got round to fitting them as im worried its a big job, can you give me a bit of an insight into how to fit them. Also what does flashing tape do? did you buy it on a role like normal black nasty? if so how much did you need to do the whole van.
Thanks for your help i can see your busy.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there looking good, i was hoping you might be able to help me im in the same position as you. I brought mine about 8 weeks ago and trying to sort it all out, i brought the same seats 2 weeks ago and not got round to fitting them as im worried its a big job, can you give me a bit of an insight into how to fit them. Also what does flashing tape do? did you buy it on a role like normal black nasty? if so how much did you need to do the whole van.
Thanks for your help i can see your busy.
Seats: If they are the same as mine. I cut a section of 5mm steal bar to fit under the top lip of the seat base, slightly shorter than length of base, as the fittings on the seats were slightly wider than the holes on the bases. I cut new holes through the bases and through the bar and bolted through (steel bar was used to add strength. It was a bit tricky but only took me a couple of hours to do both.

Flashing tape: It works like sound proofing. easy to fit, self adhesive. reduces noise from panels when driving. (bitumen interior with aluminium out lining i think) also acts as a bit of insulation i suppose (bit). got mine from 'toolstation' (online, but there may be one close to you?) used a couple of rolls of 150mm x 10metres in length. and a roll of 100mm x 10metres in length for small bits. (ill need another 150mm roll though as ive not finished yet) try to be sparing with it as it adds weight to your van. (so. 3 rolls of 150mm x 10 metre should do it but people may have used less, start with a bit and see how it goes)

ill help whenever mate, no worries

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Have you found your water leak into the cab? I had the same problem and after much head scratching I found it. I bet yours is in the same place. Check the blanking grommet on your windscreen scuttle. The one on the passenger side where the wiper arm would fit if your van was Left Hand Drive. Water pools on here when it rains. If the grommet is leaking, it drips onto your heater inlet below which is only sealed to the body with foam. The foam absorps the water as it acts like a sponge and drips over a period of time into the passenger footwell. Easy fix is to unbolt heater intake, reseal with silicon, change or reseal grommet. Happy days. T:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no wonder shes says shes gonns leave me if the kitchen looks like this.

re-covered head lining, wasn't to difficult, felty stuff and spray adhesive.

done

its back in wil l take pictures tomo
bought these boss speakers from flea bay, but too dark so waitning for some light.

all doors sprayed, window frames, handles etc, looks like new. got them all in so just need to take some pics. will do tomorrow

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a good weekend on the graft. decided not to play rugby (excuse, as my house was full of car parts and the moan was gettng too much. she will learn to love)

door cards back on. might add some coloured trim later.

handles

a frame and head lining sorted

fitted boss speakers in the dash - they do the job for the money

all done, and I do say im chuffed, few tins of paint and a bit of labour time goes a long way. looks like new. door cards, dash (masked and sprayed in place) A pillars, rubber floor mat etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
sweet, very nice

any more grief from the missus and i suggest a roofbox for her travelling plans next year.

T:

1 - 20 of 169 Posts