VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Name is Sam and me and my girlfriend Becca have just bought our first T5. My brother has a converted T4 and he has kindly let us borrow it a few times but in 2017 we are doing some more festivals so we thought we had better get ourselves sorted with our own. Had a look at a few and only have a limited budget until i sell my car.

This is my brothers van before he painted it and had pop top fitted:

Then the van we bought:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More pictures from the advert:

So first impressions; i wish i had knocked off another 100 or so as i didnt realise it was missing battery cover, engine cover at the bottom and some other bits and pieces like trim clips etc. Oh well you live and learn!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My friend seems to think the seats are out of a minibus of some sort. They have now been removed and are for sale! We started off taking the seats out and then started on removing the floor as although it looked nice it had a few marks and had holes where the seats had been sat

Chopped it into bits to get it to the tip:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And then under the floor, wasnt too bad, obviously lots of dirt and mess but pretty clean over all:

The girlfriend looking happy with herself after removing some broken screws and some bolts:

Took some of the ply lining off to take alook and its pretty clean, litte crusty near the back of the slider, also had a bit of fabric stuck to the inside to act as insulation:

Cleaned and ready to be used as kneeling mats

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well did some more last night, just removing headlinger in back as its wrong colour and quite saggy, loving the insulation attempts i found!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well adjusted the door as its been catching, looks like its had new runners though in its

Started taking the seats out and found some lovely plugs, so i unplugged them and removed the seats:

All removed:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do you like my "leisure battery" the previous owner had kindly fitted under the drivers seat:

Atleast the base and seat are out:

The central locking module doesnt look great but everythings working ok:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So had a bit of help over weekend, friend helped me get the bulkhead frame off and it came off quite easily. I also removed the original split charging system as ive got a proper one, had to remove all the wipers and scuttle panel and its absolutly minging behind so that will be cleared:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I also took all the rear lights and rubber door seal off as it was filthy and reallt flat paint, so ive washed it and then polished it:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Been doing some more cleaning and painting. Got the tape off:

Bit of a masking line but its covered mostly by the runner cover:

Took the wiper motor out to get better access:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Spotted a bit of rust at top of the strut so ive put some krust on it, will take the arch liners out at some point as ive looked down the insode of the wing and they are filthy and full of mud/leaves:

Bit of cleaning:

Painted where scuttle panel sits as had rubbed through:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
So had a bit of help over weekend, friend helped me get the bulkhead frame off and it came off quite easily. I also removed the original split charging system as ive got a proper one, had to remove all the wipers and scuttle panel and its absolutly minging behind so that will be cleared:
Just out of interest. By original split charge system do you mean what was installed by VW? Also what will your new split charge system do better?
I'm asking as I have a secondary battery installed in my van and I suspect there's a split charge system installed originally by VW.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts