VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

First T5 Build, Team white

82K views 404 replies 38 participants last post by  Pduk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Name is Sam and me and my girlfriend Becca have just bought our first T5. My brother has a converted T4 and he has kindly let us borrow it a few times but in 2017 we are doing some more festivals so we thought we had better get ourselves sorted with our own. Had a look at a few and only have a limited budget until i sell my car.

This is my brothers van before he painted it and had pop top fitted:

Then the van we bought:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
My friend seems to think the seats are out of a minibus of some sort. They have now been removed and are for sale! We started off taking the seats out and then started on removing the floor as although it looked nice it had a few marks and had holes where the seats had been sat

Chopped it into bits to get it to the tip:

#4 · (Edited)
And then under the floor, wasnt too bad, obviously lots of dirt and mess but pretty clean over all:

The girlfriend looking happy with herself after removing some broken screws and some bolts:

Took some of the ply lining off to take alook and its pretty clean, litte crusty near the back of the slider, also had a bit of fabric stuck to the inside to act as insulation:

Cleaned and ready to be used as kneeling mats

#12 · (Edited)
So had a bit of help over weekend, friend helped me get the bulkhead frame off and it came off quite easily. I also removed the original split charging system as ive got a proper one, had to remove all the wipers and scuttle panel and its absolutly minging behind so that will be cleared:

#20 ·
So had a bit of help over weekend, friend helped me get the bulkhead frame off and it came off quite easily. I also removed the original split charging system as ive got a proper one, had to remove all the wipers and scuttle panel and its absolutly minging behind so that will be cleared:
Just out of interest. By original split charge system do you mean what was installed by VW? Also what will your new split charge system do better?
I'm asking as I have a secondary battery installed in my van and I suspect there's a split charge system installed originally by VW.

#19 · (Edited)
Spotted a bit of rust at top of the strut so ive put some krust on it, will take the arch liners out at some point as ive looked down the insode of the wing and they are filthy and full of mud/leaves:

Bit of cleaning:

Painted where scuttle panel sits as had rubbed through:

#30 · (Edited)
So done a bit more yesterday however ive ran out of sound deadening and my brothers still hasnt brought my soldering iron back yet!

Rightly or wrongly i havent put any sound deadening over the top of the existing stuff on roof:

Took the rear panels off the back doors:

I assume im going to have to remove the passenger side panel:

Stuck the last few bits of sound deadening on rear door:

I have also fitted a golf steering wheel, however i need an airbag and the trim so i may just buy another full wheel as it will work out cheaper.

#35 · (Edited)
Airbag for the steering wheel:

Rear brake light on passenger side was cracked and when ive pulled the plug off its been compltely corroded so ive had to pull the pins out the plug and resolder new pins in:

I started painting as i want the dash insters gloss black, however ive sanded it and then plastic primered it, i think i ahould of used plastic filler primer as mine has just gone bobbly:

So plan is to sand it down again and reprimer it till the bobbles have gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.