VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 VW transporter van has been sitting unused for coming on 7 years! :eek: I want to get it started, mot'd and back on the road. I have purchased a new battery - but I have a feeling that it is not going to be as easy as filling the tank with diesal, connecting the battery and turning the ignition, or is it?

What would you recommend as the best steps for bringing it back to life for the first time after all these years?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Quick squirt or 2 with easy start n should fire up may run rough for a while
Don't use easy start......

Check cam belt hasn't perished ( 1.9)

Wind the engine over by hand a few turns to make sure that everything is free.

Take turbo inlet pipe off and check turbine wheel spins freely.

Check air filter is clean and clear, not unusual for rodents or other animal nests to appear!!

Check levels etc.

Then disable injection, pull the multi plug off the side of the head for the injectors ( assuming 1.9) and crank engine on the key, 10 seconds on 20 seconds off do this a few times to distribute oil.

Reconnect lead and cross fingers.T:

7 years is along time to leave an engine if it hasn't been prepared for storage correctly, normally you would drain oil and put a vaporising storage oil in the crankcase to protect against corrosion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the most helpful replies.

All the electrics were working perfectly when I connected the battery and turned the key halfway. Having taken the precautions suggested, I started the engine but then everything fused.

Rather than tinker with the engine anymore I was thinking that I would call in professional help. However, I am in two minds. Either get it towed away and part company. Or get it fixed. :confused:

What kind of price would the repairs bill come to do you think? Is it worth it? It has only done 10,000 miles but has obviously been neglected for 7 years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
what do you mean everything fused?

Electrically? or Mechanically?

I agree with no easy start, REPLACING the cam belt, check turbo etc also change coolant, change brake fluid, change oil, change fuel filters

Diesel is hyrophilic and 7 years of exposure will have attracted some water and you may also have some bacterial growth to contend with due to bio content in the diesel - which might have blocked the filter.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M4tth3w I meant electrically. The starter never got a chance to kick in but immediately the electrics cut out after turning the ignition all the way.
That video is very encouraging Gazzagee, I hope I can get it going. I was intending to get it converted for holidays but I need to top it working first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts