VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just bought my first van which is a T5 1.9tdi swb.

Looking to turn it into a full camper and hopefully i will try and do most of it my self :confused:

i am trying to think which ways the best to start it either to insulate and carpet everything first or insulate then carpet after ive put everything in.
i think im going to use flat packs from ikea because ive seen on camper and hes done it real nice think his user name is bus 1 dub (If your reading great work).
going to fit it with Smev sink and hob to save space and its got the glass on top so have more room when there down.

havent decided yet weather to put a rock n roll bed or have an U shaped seating area which turns into a bed :* i think i will have to put belts and stuff in for passengers. because im looking to go to france in the summer with it :)

it is a panel van so im going to cut out windows not to sure if im going to have 4 in the back or only 1 in each side of the van.
i got a sparky m8 so hopefully he can do all the electrics for me.

and going to lower it but not to sure how much because ive ready a few forums and some have only dropped it 40mm and it makes a difference if its a camper or just a empty van because of the load. Debating between the 2 either coilovers or lowering springs.

I need all the help i can get

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum and hope you got a open cheque book coz it's spend spend spend. Good luck with the conversion T:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hi mate

hope your bank accounts full!

If you need to fit seatbelts in the rear, I'd say the U or L shaped seating option is a no-no - you'll probably need the rock'n'roll bed route. I've gone for the L shaped seat bed layout, but then my nipper can sit up with us in the front when we travel, so it's not an issue.

Good luck mate, get them piccies up as she progresses! T:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guess just tying to work out how much i will need to dig into my pockets haha

has anyone got a leisure battery hooked up to charge while driving and on camp site with a mains hook up how do i go about this. ive seen slit charge kits on ebay for around £10-20 do you think its best to get a Voltage Sensitive Relay as well and is a control panel any worth getting ?
and anyone know were to get a fridge that wont cost a arm and leg!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do plenty of saving and reading on this forum-extremely helpful!

This is the order i did things..

gut, clean and insulate,
wire lights, install leisure battery (under driver seat) and cables for future appliances,
cut out ceiling lights, fix vw boards back on and carpet-ceiling, wheel arches and walls,
fix ply board and cover with flooring...water proofed floor,
order units (from T4Life.co.uk - Speak to Toby...excellent units for the fraction of the price of most conversion cupboards and units),
bolt bed to floor,
Just about to fit zig charging unit, rcd consumer unit for hook up within the van wardrobes.
getting the interior done before starting on the exterior!

Take the hammered, knifed and laboured hands in your stride!
Good luck DWD!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
My suggestion would be to plan the layout 100% so you can hide as much wiring as possible behind the capeting and panels.
Only then start the window fitting and lining / insualtion......its a right pain to pull carpet off later to hide a wire or 2;).
Then fit the floor - you get a neater finish if you carpet right to the van floor, then fit your ply / vinyl so it covers the lower edge of the floor.

Next fit the units.

Then show off your photos on the forumT:.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the best way to go convert the van first then respray because im putting in windows as well . i got dents and scratches all over the place so wondering whats best thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts