VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a t5 for my first transporter to convert but im wondering which engine is most reliable 1.9 or 2.5? also do the 1.9 have cruise control and 6 speed? :/

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im looking for a t5 for my first transporter to convert but im wondering which engine is most reliable 1.9 or 2.5? also do the 1.9 have cruise control and 6 speed? :/
i would say 1.9 but thats after reading through this forum but im still looking for my first t5 aswell been looking since christmas! i dont think the 1.9s do come 6 speed and im sure you can get a 1.9 with cruise control but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong lol

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
if you want six speed i beleive you have to be looking for a 140 or 174, dont worry too much about cruise control its not a fortune to get it sorted after on a t5.

if you are going full camper go for a t30 ideally due to the weight of the conversion. there are so many variations it can blind you at first, there are lots and lots of things you can do to these vans but try and start with a decent base model with decent history and things you want, like aircon maybe or electricl windows and so on.

·
Registered
465 Posts
1.9 only 5 speed . you need the 2.5 for 6 speed., we have the 1.9 and find it ok, if you need any more power then it can be chipped, ours is the t 26 and is fitted out as a full camper , pulls well enough and is still under the weight limit. Main difference as far as engine is concerned is that the 1.9 needs a cambelt change whilst the 2.5 doesnt, although the smaller engine is (supposed) to be cheaper to maintain

·
812 Posts
1.9 only 5 speed . you need the 2.5 for 6 speed., we have the 1.9 and find it ok, if you need any more power then it can be chipped, ours is the t 26 and is fitted out as a full camper , pulls well enough and is still under the weight limit. Main difference as far as engine is concerned is that the 1.9 needs a cambelt change whilst the 2.5 doesnt, although the smaller engine is (supposed) to be cheaper to maintain
my bad...thinking of the 5.1.

the older t5 engine is pokier than the euro 5 in my 5.1 facelift i beleive.

·
812 Posts
Why??? Is 2.8 tonnes not enough? I didnt tick the lead lined safe and solid gold porta potti in my full conversion! :)
lol

from what i heave read, full conversions try to avoid the T28, youll be surprised at how much wieght you add but think its down to the like of the suspension etc.... i may of course be wrong, it has been known lol :D

i take it you have a T28? fill me in my man, am i talking guff?

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts