VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Thought I'd show what I've been up to since buying my T4 last month.

Only cost about £85 in total. Bought the white plywood in the UK from a timber merchant, after having had a look through his off cut bin and nabbed several 8ft lengths of 143mm wide x 18mm birch faced play. Got that home here in France in the back of my old Rover. Using a chop saw I cut them into specified lengths and began assembling the framework.

The T4 will mostly be used as a daily runabout. I'm a carpenter by trade so need to get my tools to jobs as well as materials. So even after all these mods I can still get full sheet material in the back. When not used as a builder's van I intend going off camping. I normally use a tent, but I can forego that and glamp it using the one of the three folding campbeds stored under the flooring now. There's also a camp chair.

Anyway, do I need to say anymore than what the photos show? If so post any questions and I'll try to answer them. So, I'm well pleased with the end result. Bit Secret Squirrel I know, but I like that sort of thing.

Next project is to do something with the wheel arches. Might box those in with small storage pockets either side. Anyway content with what I've done to it so far.

Hope it's been on interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments and views folks.

Obviously raising the floor 6 inches loses you head room but since I'm a short ar$e and will mostly be sitting or sleeping in the back the height isn't an issue. Also when varnishing all the partitioning I took off the lids for easier access and was able to walk about on the original floor. It actually felt strange being able to stand up slightly straighter. The van in new to me so it's a whole new getting used to it experience, including driving in the left hand seat.

I have to say though the past 2 weeks I've been using the van after the storage compartments were fitted has made a HUGE difference. No more stuff sliding from one side to the other or wincing at an impending avalanche when a stop is a bit more dramatic than usual. Each bay has its assigned bit of kit so I don't have to rummage too much, and that little cool box works a treat in this weather. Drop a freezer block in there with the stuff out of the fridge and it's still cold at midday.

Next month I'll be in South Wales at a two week Buchcraft event so I'm looking forward to a nice long road trip via Kent and some time in the woods with the van nearby as a base camp.

Been enjoying viewing the build threads and have tons of ideas and inspiration from seeing them. Thanks to all who took the time to document it. T: Next job for me is insulating the back out and then fitting carpet on all the metal work. I'll be making new ply panels as well. The hardboard ones in there have some nasty splits. For the carpet I am going with the popular choice here of MVM on eBay. Carpet and glue in my basket ready to be bought nearer the time for my planned trip to UK from Normandy. Looking forward to taking on that job too.

Later folks, have a great weekend. Hot sunshine here and more to come next week apparently.

Me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is awesome, exactly what I am looking to do but just a bit higher, I store a LOT of kit being a football coach, what thickness did you go with for the frame and then the panels?

I am looking to raise mine probably 5 inches above the wheel arch, want to give it a go myself but I am useless at these sort of things!

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts