VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the signal is a bit **** in some places, I'm sure it wasn't as **** in other vehicles that actually had ariels stuck to the roof, instead of whatever VW have done now with the ariel in the windscreen somewhere....
has anybody fitted an aftermarket ariel ?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which side mirror? I've actually cracked the left side need to replace the cover

·
Special Rapporteur
8,747 Posts
As above - depends on the vehicle spec, and probably changed with time. If yours is a T5.1 or later with "diversity" spec aerials then there will be one in each mirror.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Our reception has always been pants , aerial just in the nearside mirror on our van .
The mirror caps are an absolute pig to get on and off without breaking the clips .

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the Ariel booster has been fitted and didn't make a difference...
Thinking about upgrading to DAB, I see you can buy RCD 510 DAB models quite cheaply, by the time I sell my old RCD 510 it's only £50 or so to upgrade. Is it possible to switch between dab and normal FM on them though? I use a Makita jobsite radio at work and there are places where I go that just don't get a DAB signal and I have to switch back to FM. And vice versa. Or if the weather's bad then DAB is useless it just cuts out constantly, so I wouldn't want to switch if there's no way of going back to FM??
Also what's involved in the Ariel fitting?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fitted the external DAB ariel and new RCD510 DAB at the weekend. I have yet to drive into the known bad areas, but DAB sounds so much better already. have had a strong signal everywhere I've been so far and it is nice and clear. when I switch between DAB & FM, the sound difference is very noticeable.
the DAB can withstand the interference from the CREE fogs too, so it has got to be better.
was talking to a friend about this and he reckoned the FM signal is getting worse as they are phasing it out, maybe thats why? It does make sense, why have 2 systems???

·
Special Rapporteur
8,747 Posts
he reckoned the FM signal is getting worse as they are phasing it out, maybe thats why? It does make sense, why have 2 systems???
There's no phasing out of FM being done yet. One of the UK government published criteria for transition from FM to DAB is "Local digital radio to reach 90% of the population". It currently reaches about 50% of the population!

That might change, but until there's a government decision, it's not going to happen any time soon. And when it does, there will be a further 2-year transition period, according to currently stated gov't policy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts