VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I have a 92 Caravelle that currently has its front speakers in the door pocket of each front door. It also currently has 2 seats up front. For one reason or another I wish to replace my passenger seat with a double seat (I appreciate that this is counter-intuitive for many) and, having read around this forum, I understand that I will need to remove the passenger door card pocket. Which would leave me with a speaker missing. What I would therefore like to do is find somewhere for said speaker to reside. I have been told that the inside of the doors on a T4 are prone to getting wet so I'm not sure whether...

a) the door is the best place to put the speaker

or

b) if it is the best place for it, how do I stop the speaker getting soaked?

Any advice on resolving my quandary would be gratefully received.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
the door is a wet area which is why the door cards are made from what they are.

if fitting a double then doing the short shift mod is good as it stops you having to feel up the middle seat.

re your speaker issue anywhere else.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the door is a wet area which is why the door cards are made from what they are.

if fitting a double then doing the short shift mod is good as it stops you having to feel up the middle seat.

re your speaker issue anywhere else.
OK thanks for that. I've been looking at the short shifter mod and its on my list. Unfortunately my model is the slightly more difficult ball joint version but is still do-able.

As for my speaker query....you are saying it should go anywhere else other than the door. Is there a logical place for this where it would be safe from damage and also reasonably easy to fit? Just wondered how other people without door pockets managed their audio requirements.

CHeers

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
that I cant answer as I like my speakers in the door pocket and my VW swivel singles.

again it depends on your van. full bulkhead? half bulkhead? no bullhead?

speakers in the dash?

one of those home made speaker and cup holder boxes in front of the gearstick?

in the rear make some roof pods? attach them to your units?

I have door speakers,dash speakers, rear roof speakers and rear boxed speakers on my work tops.

the world is your oyster make suggestions where you think you want them and then people can advise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nick. We are a no-bulkhead family. I'll have a peak around and see what options spring to mind. When I were a lad you used to get any number of aftermarket pods to fit your speakers into that all fitted quite nicely in the desired location, but I'm not sure that's still the case.

We have several speakers in the back, I think the previous owner was quite into his music but, I think, just the 2 in the front but I'll check it out more thoroughly this weekend.

Cheers

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,136 Posts
I think it's only the "pockets" that get in the way.....so cutting that bit off and leaving the speaker part?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I think that was the idea behind the suggestion.
Shame its not possible to edit posts on this forum as I think I may have misunderstood your suggestion. Sorry. Now re-reading your post you are suggesting that as well as trimming the pocket off that I also look at reducing the depth of the original speaker pod?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no I was just thinking of cutting the pocket off. I have no idea how much clearance you need with doubles.
Oh right, yes. That was the suggestion from Or_GazM. I had already considered that and wondered whether the speaker would be intrusive for the nearside passenger (might it dig into their leg, for example). I guess I will only know for sure when I get the bench seat in.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. Much appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts