VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last year when using our T4 camper I suffered heatstroke whilst driving and was rather sick by the roadside. I swore to investigate fitting aircon to the 1.9TD ABL engine.

A bit of investigation revealed that the ABL has an aircon compressor bracket that is the same as the Golf Mk3 AHU 1Z engine bracket: 028903139T

It was fitted to the 1996 ABL engine:

ABL and AHU share the same outer block so it fits using the 4-bolt bracket like this:

Clearly this will be a long project but i've done airconm work in the past on various other cars and have gauges, refrigerant, vacuum pump etc etc.

I'm only going for the simple system, not climatronic and i'm happy to fit an aftermarket evaporator inside the cab.

I'm really keen to hear other peoples experience especially the TDI 1Z conversion team who may have done this in the past.

:):):)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update. I've ordered a bunch of bits to start the project:

Sanden SD7V16 Compressor P/N 1H0820803D as fitted to Golf Mk3 (to match the bracket)

Alternator Bracket 028903143AB (1996-8 Sharan/Passat/Golf)

Also picked up a T4 condensor rad and a bunch of hoses.

Total so far is less than £100 ....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I hope your van is not lowered, the compressor (or bracket) will grind away nicely against tarmac 🤪

the one issue that stoped my intrest in t4 / 1.9 engine aircon was the position of the ac 'pump' as the factory bracket positions it low and t4 engines lean foreward:(

Rich.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope your van is not lowered, the compressor (or bracket) will grind away nicely against tarmac 🤪

the one issue that stoped my intrest in t4 / 1.9 engine aircon was the position of the ac 'pump' as the factory bracket positions it low and t4 engines lean foreward:(

Rich.
Low enough to go past the under tray panel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. Trial fitted the golf bracket, the compressor hangs down about 1cm lower than the sump and within the bounds of the under tray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts