VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as anyone fitted an awning rail using only sikaflex / tigerseal without using any screws? and if so as it stayed on?

Cheers,

Mick.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep me too, used sikkoflex and removed excess with white spirit when wet, spot on. On a site in north devon and is was blowing a gooden split the brand new awning but rail stayed on.T:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use a scotch pad to take the shine off the paint first then make sure you clean the area well with white spirit first, wipe on with one cloth then off with a dry one. hold in place for at least 24hrs and wipe off any excess asap or it will leave a mess. if you use the proper sikaflex it holds up to 10 tonne.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Just sikaflex to hold mine. It's been on about a year now.
Really wish I'd not tried to hold ends down and allowed the sikaflex to bond each end as they lay against the van, because although it will not come off, the 20mm or so at either end where I held down the rail as the sikaflex went off are not stuck so well, I used proper sika primer too, but the alloy rail was happier to stay straight.
Looks fine though and works fine even in good downpours. Big hail / thunderstorm at Final Fling lasy year didn't phase it at all :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Moving to france :eek:
Yes mate ad enough of the rat race here, so gonna get a house and a big bit of land . you never know depending on the layout etc might have a "unofficial t4 campsite" I: or if people on there way down to spain or portugal a overnite stopover. But we got to find a place first.

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Yes mate ad enough of the rat race here, so gonna get a house and a big bit of land . you never know depending on the layout etc might have a "unofficial t4 campsite" I: or if people on there way down to spain or portugal a overnite stopover. But we got to find a place first.
I got a French speaker here if you need some bods to run the campsite, we come with our own portable home, can I suggest west coast, maybe Acachon I hear theres some good surf I:

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Can anyone recommend a product that will help remove sikaflex (or it's Vansport equivilant) I: Put my rail on just as the heavens opened last week :( tried it out this wknd & off she came :eek::D

Need to get the black gunk off & re do it in more suitable conditions & with a tad more gunk me thinks I:;)

Thanks for any suggestions folks T:

Chris :ILU:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Can anyone recommend a product that will help remove sikaflex (or it's Vansport equivilant) I: Put my rail on just as the heavens opened last week :( tried it out this wknd & off she came :eek::D

Need to get the black gunk off & re do it in more suitable conditions & with a tad more gunk me thinks I:;)

Thanks for any suggestions folks T:

Chris :ILU:
Did you use the primer before putting the Sikafix on?

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Yes Gaz, the black stuff in a bottle T: It all came off the rail & I can scratch the primer off the rail with my finger nail. I've just got to try & get the thin bead out of the gutter & learn 2 stop being an impatient idiot ;)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yes Gaz, the black stuff in a bottle T: It all came off the rail & I can scratch the primer off the rail with my finger nail. I've just got to try & get the thin bead out of the gutter & learn 2 stop being an impatient idiot ;)
So the Sikafix on the paint is solid, it's the rail that it didn't stick to properly then? I will have to watch that then when I do mine.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Yeah bud.....may have paid to give the underside of the rail a bit of a sanding & probably be a little more generous with the sikaflex I:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts