VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

I'm going to fit an oil cooler this weekend with luck. The bits have just arrived. Just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I'll be connecting it via a sandwich plate just above the oil filter while the element will go somewhere near my intercooler which is fitted below the main front cross member.

Ensuring plenty of airflow is a given but I'm wondering if levels are important to avoid draining the sump or actually over filling it for example.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
The levels won't be an issue , you will have to add an extra 1/2 litre of oil due to the extra capacity , i have an extra litre due to the amount of extra pipework i have.

Mines just below the number plate behind the bumper with 4no 50mm holes in the bumper T:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was hoping you'd reply Brookster, having seen it on your 2.4 turbo thread.

The extra oil capacity is one reason I'm doing it. I have a cut down sump on my 20v conversion and I'd like to get the oil capacity back up towards normal levels. A bit of extra cooling certainly wouldn't do any harm either I don't think.

Looks very similar to the one I have actually. I just need to be creative with mounting it now as I have the intercooler down there. I might strap it behind the intercooler, not sure yet.

Have you had any thoughts on a thermostat type sytem that onlyallows oil into the cooler once it reaches a certain temperature?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Have you had any thoughts on a thermostat type sytem that onlyallows oil into the cooler once it reaches a certain temperature?
i used to have the thermostat sandwich plate on my golf which work great. i can't used it on the T4 as i have the oil filter in line and can't re-strict the oil flow which the thermostat does.

i would fit the oil cooler in front of the intercooler not behind or fit in in front of the radiator .

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used to have the thermostat sandwich plate on my golf which work great. i can't used it on the T4 as i have the oil filter in line and can't re-strict the oil flow which the thermostat does.

i would fit the oil cooler in front of the intercooler not behind or fit in in front of the radiator .
No room in front of the radiator in mine. It all got pulled forward a bit but certainly an easier place to put it. I will double check though.

You can get in line oil thermostats from Rally Design which I think would still work if you positioned it after the filter.

Benefits? I can't speak for Brookster but from his Turbo Thread he now has oil temps of 95deg or so from memory.

mine's a petrol with a 20v conversion. The sump has been cut back so I have reduced oil capacity. I want to get it back up somewhere near OEM. Plus I have an LPG kit fitted which apparently makes things run a bit hotter. I haven't seen any evidence of this yet to be honest (water temps still at 94deg on the motorway on either fuel) but having more oil circulating and having it a little cooler will do no harm I think. You could also argue that the engine is running a bit harder than it's designed to hauling a van about, and with increased HP.

For a normal T4 engine there probably isn't any really enormous benefits in the UK. Fitting an oil temp. gauge might be worth looking at and going from there.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry another quick query on this.

When changing the oil I'm guessing you have to take it all apart and drain the cooler specifically? Similarly fill it back up again before filling the engine. I guess this is quite easy with the sandwich plate.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Sorry another quick query on this.

When changing the oil I'm guessing you have to take it all apart and drain the cooler specifically? Similarly fill it back up again before filling the engine. I guess this is quite easy with the sandwich plate.
If the cooler is the lowest point in the system, yes.

Defo worth fitting a thermostatic cooler, otherwise your oil will never get up to temperature.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Edit: well it will, it'll just take a LOT longer on cold days and you'll wear the engine more while its coming up to temperature.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Are U really using hose clamps one this??
Even when the pipe ends are not flared? :*

Depending on how U route the pies & how the coolers sits height wise, it will determine whether it drains or not IMO

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are U really using hose clamps one this??
Even when the pipe ends are not flared? :*

Depending on how U route the pies & how the coolers sits height wise, it will determine whether it drains or not IMO
They're proper hose ends fella. No issue with them. A real pig to get on and even harder to get off.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
noo noo, its fine to run the correct amount of oil in that sump.

Really Tonic? I've just been following the cut down dipstick but if I can put a good 4L in there plus the cooler on top I'll be happy for sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts