VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting some interior photos recently about an unrelated subject http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37643 I got a question about fitting my caravelle rear seats, ending with this PM -:

I took your advice and I have bought a set of seats of e-bay in fact, I pick them up tonight. Looking through the forum everyday there seems to be alot of people like me who are new to the world of the T4 and are asking for advice regarding rear seats. Therefore I was wondering if there is any chance that you could write a post - including pictures - detailing exactly how you fitted your rear seats; specifically:

1. How and where you fixed your 3-point seatbelts to the van.

2. Approximate year of the passat the 'U' bolt things came off.

3. A photo/drawing of the spacers.

4. How you fixed the seats to the floor eg mushroom bolts.

I know its a bit of work for you and I feel a bit cheeky for asking but, there are a lot folks that need some help - me included!

Many thanks,

Mark

So here is the thread! Finally got the pics taken today so:

1. The left and right three point seatbelts are fitted to the standard VW mounts. Being ex-AA, it is based on a caravelle body, so the mounts are all there.

The centre belt reel is bolted to the bottom of the seat at the rear. it loops over the seat back, and then bolts through the left hand socket hole onto the seat (there is a bolt provided, which also secures the receptacle of the lefthand seatbelt)

In the right hand hole are the two receptacles, for the centre and righthand belts.

2. The Passat I got the brackets from was a 2002ish, but I was running a Passat on a W plate with the same brackets at the time. I have also seen then on Skoda Octavias, they seem quite common on the VAG fleet.

3. Photos!

This is a view of the sliding door slam plate, and you can see the end of the bolts securing the left hand "U" plate.

Looking backward at thee bracket. You can see the spacers I made from 6mm aluminium plate. The bolts I sourced from work.

Side on to the L/H plate.

On the right hand side, the bottom bolt hole of the bracket was hanging in space. I shaped and drilled a piece of angled steel to go behind the bracket. this sandwiches the van skin between the bracket and angled steel, holding it securely.

I bolted the seat through the floor into some large plates. I welded nuts on the bottom to make fitting and removal a little easier. Much smaller bolts, with heads that are "lost" between the ribs of the floor, then go through to hold the plates in place when the seat bolts are not fitted. I am sure the plates don't have to be so big, but as I always say, you can never have too much overkill! This is a pic of the front plate, the rear is identical.

Finally, a pic of the seats as you see them.

Hope that answers your questions Mark, and anyone else considering doing it.

Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Cheers, Dick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dick,

Thats brilliant many thanks, hopefully other people will find your post/advice equally as useful. Once I've finished the soundproofing in go the seats! A:

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi there, bought a caravelle triple seat just like yours, hoping to fit it in just the same position as yours, have you got any pics, info, of how the folding back clips into the side of the van

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
:)nice work that man!! very well done for taking the time to do it )

·
Registered
407 Posts
After posting some interior photos recently about an unrelated subject http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37643 I got a question about fitting my caravelle rear seats, ending with this PM -:

I took your advice and I have bought a set of seats of e-bay in fact, I pick them up tonight. Looking through the forum everyday there seems to be alot of people like me who are new to the world of the T4 and are asking for advice regarding rear seats. Therefore I was wondering if there is any chance that you could write a post - including pictures - detailing exactly how you fitted your rear seats; specifically:

1. How and where you fixed your 3-point seatbelts to the van.

2. Approximate year of the passat the 'U' bolt things came off.

3. A photo/drawing of the spacers.

4. How you fixed the seats to the floor eg mushroom bolts.

I know its a bit of work for you and I feel a bit cheeky for asking but, there are a lot folks that need some help - me included!

Many thanks,

Mark

So here is the thread! Finally got the pics taken today so:

1. The left and right three point seatbelts are fitted to the standard VW mounts. Being ex-AA, it is based on a caravelle body, so the mounts are all there.

The centre belt reel is bolted to the bottom of the seat at the rear. it loops over the seat back, and then bolts through the left hand socket hole onto the seat (there is a bolt provided, which also secures the receptacle of the lefthand seatbelt)

In the right hand hole are the two receptacles, for the centre and righthand belts.

2. The Passat I got the brackets from was a 2002ish, but I was running a Passat on a W plate with the same brackets at the time. I have also seen then on Skoda Octavias, they seem quite common on the VAG fleet.

3. Photos!

This is a view of the sliding door slam plate, and you can see the end of the bolts securing the left hand "U" plate.

Looking backward at thee bracket. You can see the spacers I made from 6mm aluminium plate. The bolts I sourced from work.

Side on to the L/H plate.

On the right hand side, the bottom bolt hole of the bracket was hanging in space. I shaped and drilled a piece of angled steel to go behind the bracket. this sandwiches the van skin between the bracket and angled steel, holding it securely.

I bolted the seat through the floor into some large plates. I welded nuts on the bottom to make fitting and removal a little easier. Much smaller bolts, with heads that are "lost" between the ribs of the floor, then go through to hold the plates in place when the seat bolts are not fitted. I am sure the plates don't have to be so big, but as I always say, you can never have too much overkill! This is a pic of the front plate, the rear is identical.

Finally, a pic of the seats as you see them.

Hope that answers your questions Mark, and anyone else considering doing it.

Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Cheers, Dick.
Fantastic mate...suprising how seeing a few pictures can help make your mind up on things...as they say a picture speaks a thousand words...Good thread mate...and good effort for the forum !!! A:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts