VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a cd player to go in van 2001 2.5 tdi
It has the tape player fitted and have been looking for a cd player with radio etc but can only seem to find a single cd unit or a 6 disc player etc.
Where have you guys fitted the cd player in the van as only has a single slot in dash.pictures of what has been done would be great.
As would like to keep the blue and red which match the dash light up etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- just found your message as I'm having the same issue- I want to put a single CD player in beneath the radio unit all ready there- did you get any replies or any suggestions? If not what did you do?- there is a slot just below- did you cut into that?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Hi- just found your message as I'm having the same issue- I want to put a single CD player in beneath the radio unit all ready there- did you get any replies or any suggestions? If not what did you do?- there is a slot just below- did you cut into that?
Thanks
why do you want to Keep the tape Player?

just swap them over. much easier to do.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I want to do this too, and have a bought a single CD player from a mk4 Golf with the intention of fitting it below the gamma tape player/radio. I originally wanted a modern double DIN unit with satnav etc but I went for this setup when I discovered the metal crossmember in the dash makes fitting double DIN a bit of a pain.. Anyway now I've decided I'd rather it look as OEM as possible. I believe I can also connect my mp3 player to the gamma head unit through the input for a multi cd changer - I am assuming that this is a different input to the one for the single cd player...

Of course the metal crossmember still gets in the way when trying to fit a single DIN cd player under the head unit, but I am hopeful that I can get away with only having to remove part of it... The plan at the moment is to leave the flat top part of the crossmember and cut away the rounded bit on the bottom, hopefully then allowing me to slot in the CD player without losing too much strength in the dash...

If anyone has attempted this and knows of any problems please let me know... Also links to any threads in which someone has done the same or where they have fitted a double DIN would be useful... Cheers!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wanted mine to stay original . Connects2 sell a plug in unit that plugs into the rear of the stereo and then allows you to play your ipod through the stereo.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
the metal cross bar actually have a very inportant Job to do.

most People go up and remove a few air vents.
Yeah, just been reading about it. I'll have to have a good look at it and see exactly how much material would have to be removed. As it's 2 single din units I want to install I wouldn't have to leave a gap in the bar, on having a quick look before I thought around an inch removed from the bottom would suffice...

Definitely not removing the vents, would rather do without than do that. As JAKA has pointed out I can still connect mp3, would just have to do with out the CD player.. :)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
This is what I fitted in the end: factory VW MCD player. Plays CD's and you can get a CD-ROM that allows it to be satnav. I also have the adapter that allows my mp3 player to connect into the CD changer port. It lights up blue and red like the rest of the dash..

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I fitted in the end: factory VW MCD player. Plays CD's and you can get a CD-ROM that allows it to be satnav. I also have the adapter that allows my mp3 player to connect into the CD changer port. It lights up blue and red like the rest of the dash..

That looks factory fit mate! How difficult was it to fit? I'm considering a double din but think going up would be easier....although looking at that I may have to reconsider! T:

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I fitted a 6cd changer off ebay[about £12] under the drivers seat and linked it up to the headunit works a treat, and no cutting necessary T:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That looks factory fit mate! How difficult was it to fit? I'm considering a double din but think going up would be easier....although looking at that I may have to reconsider! T:
It's easy to fit, it's a factory vw stereo so just slides right in where the tape player was. Of course I had to lose the small storage compartment that is normally below the single din stereo, and had to get the trim that goes round the climate control (the original surrounding trim for there is part of the storage compartment).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts