VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So chaps couple of questions, how easy to install coilovers I am suspecting that its a bit easier than changing the springs due to compressing them. Do you rcommend self fitting or garage to fit them and how long should it take.

Also the rear platform adjuster does this go to the top or the bottom of the spring

Cheers

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Rears are fairly easy, reckon on about half hour per side average (and the platform adjusters go at the top, although you have to grind the lip off the tube that the adjuster sits on)

Fronts are as straightforward as changing the front springs - you still need a spring compressor as your coilovers won't have the top mounts included so you'll need to remove those from your old units. Mine took me about 4 hours to do both sides at the front - but I did the hub mod at the same time...

If you're a half competent DIY mechanic you'll have no problem doing it yourself :cool::cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I fancied doing my own but a sloping drive and no spring compressor led to using the local garage. Charged me £60 which i thought more than reasonable. But I am going to wind them down myself soon.T:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
£60 fitted doesn't seem too bad a price I may opt for that kind of deal it aint worth losing an eye with a dodgy spring compressor Like I nearly did last time

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did mine with out a compressor
Took 20 mins a side on the front
How did you stop the spring shooting off I can understand that the new one may not need a compressor as ist adjustable so may not need much compression. Did you release the top with the wheel still on the floor and jack the motor up slowly releasing the pressure ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts