VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 2006 T5 and am trying to replace the stock beta cassette radio with a 2nd hand Clarion MAX983HD but am having a couple of problems and wondered if you guys could help?

I have removed the beta radio and the tray above it, and have used an ISO converter lead to plug in the original cables to the converter and that into the Clarion.

1) The unit doesn't go all the way in, it sticks out about 2cm from the dash. There is a vertical metal bar at the back of the hole where the stereo goes that is stopping it from sitting flush. Should this be removed or is this something important!?

2) When the ignition is on and the clarion is on, everything functions fine with the stereo, however when the ignition is turned off, all the lights blink on the front of the unit. This seems to be at the same rate of when the red light on the front of the original stereo blinked (security light?). I have spoken with Clarion and they say that it is something specific to the vehicle rather something to do with the head unit. Any idea what i can disconnect to stop this from happening?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Evening bump ..

1) I have bent the metal bar slightly and the unit now fits in better (not perfect but i have other issues now to address first).
2) I disconnected a blue wire from the iso connector and the flashing lights have stopped (it may have been for a motorised aerial which is not needed and it seems to have sorted the problem).

My new issue is that my location isn't updated on the satnav. The GPS aerial is connected and i have maps that cover the UK, but it seems to think that i am in France. In the diagnostic section of the satnav it confirms that the GPS aerial is connected and shows what i think are roughly the correct lat/longitude for my location, and also shows that a number of satellites are connected, but if I drive in the van it doesn't change the location on the map. I have left it connected for over an hour and no change.

Everything else seems to work okay on the unit, but not the satnav.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Evening bump ..

1) I have bent the metal bar slightly and the unit now fits in better (not perfect but i have other issues now to address first).
2) I disconnected a blue wire from the iso connector and the flashing lights have stopped (it may have been for a motorised aerial which is not needed and it seems to have sorted the problem).

My new issue is that my location isn't updated on the satnav. The GPS aerial is connected and i have maps that cover the UK, but it seems to think that i am in France. In the diagnostic section of the satnav it confirms that the GPS aerial is connected and shows what i think are roughly the correct lat/longitude for my location, and also shows that a number of satellites are connected, but if I drive in the van it doesn't change the location on the map. I have left it connected for over an hour and no change.

Everything else seems to work okay on the unit, but not the satnav.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Matt

The reason why you had to disconnect the blue wire, is because the standard ISO block coming out of the vehicle has 2 permanent 12v feeds, and the one connected to the blue wire was causing a back feed....

Where is your GPS located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah that makes sense, thanks for the reply. So I was fine to disconnect the blue lead and it won't have caused the satnav not to update my locaton?

Initially I put the GPS behind the back of the stereo in the bay behind but since I couldn't get it to connect I moved it to the bottom of the dash nearest the windscreen. That didn't work either so I put the GPS on the roof of the van - just to test, and also just loose in the cab, but neither of these worked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts