VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

i have been looking into this egr fault i didnt know if vw have missed this on mine! Vw replaced the turbo in november due to lack of power out of roundabouts etc especially after a run on a dual carriage way. Then 1500 miles later the glow plug/coil light flashes and i lose all power and have to pull over. start the van back up runs fine then the dpf light came on but then went off the next day, a week later the glow plug light flashes and lose all power again but after starting again two miles down the road the oil pressure light comes on and i pull over and get it recovered to my local vw main dealer. They now say the engine is seized? and will need to be fully replaced! they still cant say what part has caused this! could it be anything to do with the faulty egr valves they have?

My van is a 61 plate 180 dsg sportline
76k on the clock

cheers

·
Special Rapporteur
8,614 Posts
I can't think of a reason why a failure of the EGR valve would cause the engine to seize, nor how it could be a significant contribution to the engine seizing. How much oil was in the engine when it was recovered?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bump to this thread, my 2010 t5.1 went into limp mode this mornin, managed to get it to mechanic this afternoon where he did diagnosis check where it confirmed it was egr valve fault , so for 195quid for part plus labour it's gonna cost me a few quid unfortunately :eek: my question is, how many miles do these egr valves usually pack in? Cheers martin:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bump to this thread, my 2010 t5.1 went into limp mode this mornin, managed to get it to mechanic this afternoon where he did diagnosis check where it confirmed it was egr valve fault , so for 195quid for part plus labour it's gonna cost me a few quid unfortunately :eek: my question is, how many miles do these egr valves usually pack in? Cheers martin:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I've read it fella as it's the very same thread I'm posting onT: I'm just curious to know how many miles roughly you will get out of your van after a new egr has been fitted? 100,000?, 50,000?, 10,000?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks like mines next as same symptoms. Has anyone took it apart and given it a damn good clean? or it that not possible? Is it something someone like me with a fair amount of ability can replace or is it a right bu##er of a job? Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
I've just been quoted £540 all in, to replace the EGR valve on my 2010 T5.1 by a VW garage, I asked about a goodwill gesture discount and they have said they need to run a diagnostic check first and then submit this to VW who will then say how much discount? Could be partial on parts and labour or 100% on either.
Just wondering how much if any discount anyone else has had?
Cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was told I would be billed for the diagnostic and only then can they look at goodwill. As I've already been told that it is the EGR I didn't want to pay for it again. I called VW customer services and they said only when its confirmed they could discuss with the dealer. I explained I'm reluctant to pay the diagnostic only to be told they wont offer any goodwill and so they said it would be unlikely.
Why they can't just be honest and say upfront if you could have goodwill I don't know. And goodwill for a part they know is highly defective.
Lets be honest these vans are rubbish and nowhere near as reliable as the T4 and I do wonder why I still love it, but no chance me buying a transit.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all,
I've just been quoted £540 all in, to replace the EGR valve on my 2010 T5.1 by a VW garage, I asked about a goodwill gesture discount and they have said they need to run a diagnostic check first and then submit this to VW who will then say how much discount? Could be partial on parts and labour or 100% on either.
Just wondering how much if any discount anyone else has had?
Cheers
Just got mine back from the local main dealer on Wednesday with a new EGR (2011 with 76k miles).

The best price I could get was £480 all in (even after speaking with VW customer services)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheers, I'm not sure it's worth me travelling the 75 miles each way to my nearest VW centre, my local garage said they would match the £540 all in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2012 T5.1 80,000miles that has just developed an EGR fault. VW were not helpful at all, wanted £115 for diagnostic and no promise of goodwill payment. I was advised to call VW customer service who just fobbed me off stating that there was no recall on my vehicle. I explained that it was not a recall but a known fault and that the part code on my EGR was one of the faulty batch (ending 512 Q) but no joy. Have been quoted £385 fitted by my local garage using original Valeo part. I thought this only affected the older T5's so unless mine had an older engine dropped in as it was manufactured it happens on later models too.
Been hearing a whining sort of noise as the ignition turned off for a few weeks now but thought nothing of it as no running or starting problems and good fuel consumption. Driving home today and coil symbol lit up on dash and went into limp mode. Diagnostic showed EGR fault.
I've read somewhere that a new unit and software update is required. Do I need software update or just replacement EGR???

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine is a 2010 with 62k miles. Got part (Valeo) and gaskets from TPS £300 and £65 to fit. Going in next Thursday so hope it is that.
I've not heard anything to do with software upgrade. Should be a case of fit the part, clear fault code(s) and off you go. Having said that I'm sure someone on here will say otherwise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to drag an old post up, but has anyone actually tried to replace one of these themselves?

Ours is a 2013 T5.1 so won't be included in the good will gesture and we've just had our engine management light come one with VCDS showing EGR Valve. Don't want it mapped out for reasons mentioned before so wondering how easy it is on the T5.1 (as the other half removed/replaced one from an A3 with no problems at all).

Wouldn't mind but we've only had the van 4 months and just splashed all the cash on converting it (isn't it annoying how it's always just outside of the 3 month warranty when a fault appears eh?)

TIA Sarah

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the van has been serviced on schedule in the VW network it may still be worth trying for goodwill. They'll still charge you to do a diagnostic, but they'll refund it if VW agree to goodwill. Or at least, that was the case for me when mine was done at 3 1/2 years old with 150 000-ish kms on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the van has been serviced on schedule in the VW network it may still be worth trying for goodwill. They'll still charge you to do a diagnostic, but they'll refund it if VW agree to goodwill. Or at least, that was the case for me when mine was done at 3 1/2 years old with 150 000-ish kms on it.

Ours isn't included in the faulty batch, it's a year too new sadly. It has been serviced to schedule but as it's got 125k miles on the clock, all warranty is now out anyway.

Does anyone know roughly how much to expect if a garage has to undertake this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought a valeo unit off an ebay seller for £243 delivered,exactley same as the one on my 2010 van.took me about an hour and half to do it,reckon I could do another in an hour.its four torx bolts,two nuts and four or five hoses.you"ll need to replace about a pint of antifreeze.disconnect the battery for ten minutes and the dash light goes off.my local vw independent charges 25 quid to do a diagnostic scan.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts