VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My EGR is playing up on my 2012 t5. Think im going to have to bite the bullet and change it.Thinking of fitting it myself .MICKSEA do you have a link or username to the to the seller you bought off on ebay?Has the valve been ok since changing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like I may have to tackle this job shortly, my son borrowed my 2011 T5.1 for trip to Fort William yesterday, , and it went into limp mode with flashing glow plug light and engine light just north of Glasgow :(. Just found this useful video HowTo on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0AhVX-CefY. Yet to see if its quite as straightforward as this makes out, but I bet it takes me longer than 1.3 hours

·
Registered
44 Posts
As I suspected, not as straightforward as in the video. Got as far as removing coolant hoses and vacuum pipe. Snapped one torx bit trying to undo second bolt securing flex exhaust flange, tried with a new bit and that just rounded out the torx bolt head. Similar story with bolts securing cooler bracket to block, second one just rounded out without shifting. And I did give them all a dose of plus gas a day before starting. :(:(:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Called in my usual indy VW mechanic to fit EGR - but he will only fit parts he supplies himself, so was looking at ~£500 bill. ( On top of the £230 already spent on an EGR) However, he wasn't any more successful than me, managed to loosen one of the two torx bolts I hadn't touched, but second one rounded out on him. He couldn't loosen the nuts at exhaust connection, said its a new turbo if you shear the studs trying to undo these nuts. To get access to drill out the danaged Torx bolts would requre taking cylinder head of, so final bill could be £2K or more.:eek: He didn't have time to get any further on the day, so provisionnally booked a two day slot for end of the month.
Anyway, decided I didn't have much to lose, so, armed with some Irwin power grip bolt removers, Laser torx extractors, Plus Gas and Halfords Shock&Unlock spray, I returned to the fray. A few skinned knuckles, and prolonged swearing sessions later, I've got all but one of the Torx bolts out, and free'd the two nuts without shearing the studs. Had to saw/file off the head of the last securing bolt, just spent the last hour getting the bolt stub out of the cylinder head.T: So off to VW Preston tomorrow for new bolts and gaskets, then hopefully a straightforward job fitting new EGR.:gl No sweat involved in the above, working on the drive and it's been snowing/hailiing on and off all day.:GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
The EGR Valve on the 2.0TDI-CR engine has a number of functions, first its part of the DPF system so removing / blanking will cause DPF Failing, also the EGR system reduces Nox within the engine which reduces Cylinder temps...

We will never do a EGR removal on an engine without a signed disclaimer from customer stating they take full responsibility!!!

Also VW are doing a good will gesture on supplying and fitting a new UPRATED EGR on the T5.1 2.0TDI-CR (even if your vehicle is out of warranty) and you just pay 50% labour which works out at around £120...

So why mess with something that VW will CORRECTLY repair and you not run the risk of damage????

Regards
Martin
PendlePerformance

Hi Martin,

Are they still providing this good will gesture? I have a 2013 T5, if so who do I contact about this, just my local VW garage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Called in my usual indy VW mechanic to fit EGR - but he will only fit parts he supplies himself, so was looking at ~£500 bill. ( On top of the £230 already spent on an EGR) However, he wasn't any more successful than me, managed to loosen one of the two torx bolts I hadn't touched, but second one rounded out on him. He couldn't loosen the nuts at exhaust connection, said its a new turbo if you shear the studs trying to undo these nuts. To get access to drill out the danaged Torx bolts would requre taking cylinder head of, so final bill could be £2K or more.:eek: He didn't have time to get any further on the day, so provisionnally booked a two day slot for end of the month.
Anyway, decided I didn't have much to lose, so, armed with some Irwin power grip bolt removers, Laser torx extractors, Plus Gas and Halfords Shock&Unlock spray, I returned to the fray. A few skinned knuckles, and prolonged swearing sessions later, I've got all but one of the Torx bolts out, and free'd the two nuts without shearing the studs. Had to saw/file off the head of the last securing bolt, just spent the last hour getting the bolt stub out of the cylinder head.T: So off to VW Preston tomorrow for new bolts and gaskets, then hopefully a straightforward job fitting new EGR.:gl No sweat involved in the above, working on the drive and it's been snowing/hailiing on and off all day.:GL
@T4XSS didn't read this properly 6 months ago, that's horrendous! how did it work out in the end? I didn't do the full replacement, in part based on your comments! so far so good with mine, hope yours has been OK.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts