VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally took the plunge after must reading posts on here and decided to go for the Eibach 45mm springs to try and get some drop on my van without imparing the ride quality.

I've head the technical article on how to fit these and managed to do the offside this afternoon relatively easily!T:

However, on the nearside, when I turn the 16mm bolt on the bottom of the strut, the strut turns with it and is not loosening just spinning. I have soaked it in Plusgas and tried turning both ways to see if I can loosen all to no avail. I even got the blowtorch on the nut to see it heating it up a bit would work but no good and couldn't heat it too hot because of fear of torching the rubber bush directly behind it.

I even tried holding the strut a best as I could with some water pump pliers and the tried to turn the nut (although I needed another pair of hands realy) but still no good.:*

I'm sure I am making a schoolboy error here but seem to be living up to my username!!I:I:I:

Could someone be kind enough to teach me the error of my ways please? I need van for work Monday and don't want to be driving it with different springs on!

Also, on the side I changed, I measured from centre of wheel nut to bottom of wheel arch before and after and reckon this has gone from 450mm to 440mm so only 10mm drop! I thought these were supposed to give 45mm drop and as I have the slimline mounting plates from T4srus was expecting more like 50mm.:confused: I appreciate my van is very light (no interior not even ply at the mo and spare wheel removed to reduce weight/ fuel some weeks ago) but was hoping for bigger drop than this! Anyone else done this and seen bigger drop - if so what am I doing wrong?:(

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
leave it soaking overnight if it still wont loosen use more heat,you will need to try and hold the shocker with grips tho.on the hight issue you will need to wait until both side are done,does it have standard springs fitted ? the thing about the eibachs is there is not a massive drop but the will sit and handle nice with any weight in the back,my vans got the bed and units in it and sits well and i dont have any worries about the amount of weight in the back,i fitted these after fitting apex springs that lasted a year :eek:waste of £115:(

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you cant get the bottom mount off.........take off the top one. T:T:T:
If/when you replace the shocks you gan grip the body with stilsons or similar as it wont matter if you wreck it at that point.
If they are not already fitted to your van as standard keep an eye out for a set of purple torsion bars for the front; they are a really good match for the Eiback springs and keep the van balanced.
My van has Eibachs fitted together with the T4sRus plates so take a peek at my build thread and you can see what sort of ride height you can expect with an empty van once things have settled a bit.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi All,

Finally took the plunge after must reading posts on here and decided to go for the Eibach 45mm springs to try and get some drop on my van without imparing the ride quality.

I've head the technical article on how to fit these and managed to do the offside this afternoon relatively easily!T:

However, on the nearside, when I turn the 16mm bolt on the bottom of the strut, the strut turns with it and is not loosening just spinning. I have soaked it in Plusgas and tried turning both ways to see if I can loosen all to no avail. I even got the blowtorch on the nut to see it heating it up a bit would work but no good and couldn't heat it too hot because of fear of torching the rubber bush directly behind it.

I even tried holding the strut a best as I could with some water pump pliers and the tried to turn the nut (although I needed another pair of hands realy) but still no good.:*

I'm sure I am making a schoolboy error here but seem to be living up to my username!!I:I:I:

Could someone be kind enough to teach me the error of my ways please? I need van for work Monday and don't want to be driving it with different springs on!

Also, on the side I changed, I measured from centre of wheel nut to bottom of wheel arch before and after and reckon this has gone from 450mm to 440mm so only 10mm drop! I thought these were supposed to give 45mm drop and as I have the slimline mounting plates from T4srus was expecting more like 50mm.:confused: I appreciate my van is very light (no interior not even ply at the mo and spare wheel removed to reduce weight/ fuel some weeks ago) but was hoping for bigger drop than this! Anyone else done this and seen bigger drop - if so what am I doing wrong?:(

Cheers,

Chris
hey up pal let us no when youve done it and then give us the measurements as at the minute mines sits at 440mmand been told that with eibachs it should sit around 380mm ,now i dont no if thats with top and bottom plates in cheers karl

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm just off out so can't reply properly but at the bottom of the shock it's hexed to alow to be gripped with some for of large grip, they are normaly covered in an you will need something like a screw driver to scrape it clear.

If you want me to talk you through things tomorrow pm me an I'll call you an help, I've litterly just fitted eibachs at the back an changed all my shocks.

ben

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks very much for your responses.

Didn't get a chance to get out on the van yesterday so had to use my other van for work at the mo.

I will see if I can get a pair of grips on the hex at the bottom of the shock and if not will try removing the top mount instead. I can't get enough grip just on the body of the shock itself so hopefully one of these will work...

I measured the drop again yesterday after it had some time to settle down and now at about 420 mm so have got about 30 mm drop so far with the one side of the van still on original springs so this might be holding it up a bit as well and I need some weight in the back to get the true picture.

Will let you know how I get on when I get a chance to get out there againT:

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gudday gang,

Thanks for your further responses.

Not had a chance to get back out there yet - too cold, too much crimbo shopping to do, too much naggin by the missus to paint the hall, stairs and landing,etc...:(

Some good suggestions there. I have just bought a filter strap a couple of months ago so might try that first - good thinking batfink T:I tried holding the shock with my hand but couldn't get enough purchase on it to stop in spinning. If all else fails - will just take the top bolt off A:

Will let you know how I get on. Hopefully get out there on SaturdayA:A:A:

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just thinking (dangerous I know!I:) - will the top bolt not be under compression before being undone? With the bottom bolt, you can once it is undone gently lower the trailing arm. Will this work with the top bolt?

Sorry if I'm being thick - not been out and looked at the van for a while...!:*

·
Registered
759 Posts
If the van is being lifted on a suitable location (proper jacking location or a suitable chassis member - i.e. not the rear swing arm) then there should be no compression in the rear system at all. You undo the bolt (either top or bottom) and the entire swing arm will drop down. With no load on the wheel the damper is at it's maximum extension. This is why it is essential that if you use lowering springs beyond 60mm that you also combine it with shortened shocks to ensure that if the wheel finds itself with no load whilst on the road that the spring does not simply fall out.

First rule of any job....look at what your gonna be working on and get a plan as to how your going to do it and what tools will be required before even starting to do anything! :D

Your on the right track 'thinking' before 'doing'.....a lot of people do that in the wrong order! Rasp:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Merry xmas everyone! *<:)>

As promised, just wanted to give you an update on this.

Managed to get out on the van on Saturday. Decided to do the top bolt as advised and, wow, what a doddle. Took me 10 mins from start to finishA:

Jacked up, supported on 2 axle stands as well for double safety. Used trolley jack to take the weight then undid bolt, dropped the jack and out the spring popped.

Just gotta wind the front down now - gave both bolts a good soaking with penetrating fluid and wired brushed the threads. Not got right size socket though so job for later in the week.

I'm off to sleep off the remains of my hangover now.....I:

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right then - wound the front down today. All good - doddleT:

Checked measurements now from wheel arch to middle of wheel and reckon I have now 400 mm. I started at 445 mm so with empty van this is about what I would expect.:ILU:

Ride is great on these springs and can defo go in throw van into corners better now...

Now, which job next...:confused:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would say if you want to continue to improve the handling the next steps are:

1. Have the van 4-wheel aligned
2. Change out dampers for some uprated ones (Bilstein B6's are my personal choice)
3. Uprate the front torsion bars
4. Replace front ARB for 27mm version
5. Install a 26mm rear ARB (a 28mm rear ARB is available but these will tend to induce oversteer - especially on a converted van)
6. Uprate the brake system

Outside of that little list you are into replacing all the bushings (for poly versions) to improve handling, and at present these are a pain in the backside to come across for a T4.

Have you already got alloys on the van? Going to a wider, lower profile helps reduce roll induced by the tyre sidewall.....but don't go too lower a profile as there ride can get really harsh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts