VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought these on a whim, the devil makes work for idle hands I: they where on ebay.de and the seller excepted paypal. Its all to easy just press a couple of buttons and then sit back and weight.
Less than a week and I had the card through the door A: off I trot to the post office only to be given a cardboard box that looked like a pit bull had tried to escape from :eek: There was holes in the side through which poked the mounting brackets and not one corner of the box was intact. In fairness to the seller he had rapped the lamps in corrugated card and used red warning tape around the box which read Fragile Glass, this had come in handy for the courier used it as a convenient handle from which to abuse my lamps by :*
On inspection the lamps survived quite well considering, the only major part that was damaged is one of the motors which has snapped off its mountings.
I hope somebody sells spares or I will have to start make replacements.
I have no idea how old the lamps are or how long they where in production but they look to be a good bit of kit, and after a bit of restoration should come up OK cant weight to get them on the van.:cool:

Andy. *<:)>

Fixing broken headlight motor housing, I turned a top hat section out off aluminium that fitted up the middle of the original, cut this in half and transferred the fixing hole positions from the original to the replacements.

Now I could cut the bottom broken parts off and glue and screw the alloy parts to the original bits.

The original fixings are a plastic expanding peg securing the motor housing to the headlight body, To get over this I silver soldered nuts to the headlight body.

Next I had to fit the Lights to the Van.
I made a tool to remove the front grill, Its made from stainless bandit strap just thin enough when folded to fit through the panel gap. If you make one remember to leave a gap when folding the metal it will then grab the grill panel securely.

To remove upper grill lower grill and pannel remove five self tapping screws two bottom three top, now insert tool between pannel and pull I mean realy pull !! :eek:

:* Pick your self up off the floor, now that you have one side off TAKE PRECAUTIONS I: TIE A ROPE FROM BUMPER TO ENGINE BAY this will stop grill and panel from ending up on the floor with you when you pull the other side off.

Its off. A:A:

Now its just a case of swapping over the lights, each one is held on with four self tapping screws remove these and disconnect the electrical connections.

Now connect the electrical connections of your new lights and screw to the body of the van, the light fixing brackets have slotted holes in them, these allow a little movement CHECK THE BONNET CLEARS THE LIGHT SURROUND tighten the screws.

Fit the grill and panel back on, grease the fixing positions first. T:

Job dun now sit back and admire. :cool:

T:
Andy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks very much, ...... all i can say is you sve me a new front end, as i was near removing it with a hammer :-(

The pictures are great, I imprivised a bit and rather than make my own tool I managed to jam a few zip-ties down to make a good base, then pulled, then as you say, really pulled............. and they came off!...............One side at a time mind as i say your photo of securing the other side first was legendary....... very good tip as I would imagine that many newly sprayed fronteds would meet the tarmac.

Nice one fella, iI'll post my result tomorrow!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Andy,
V useful guide maye. I have bought a pairof these lights and got them fitted but when I have the ignition and sidelights on my dip beam comes on (not very brightly but on never the less) do you have this problem? Also did you get a busbar for the fuse box so that when you have the high beam on all four lights are on not just the centre ones? If you did where di you fit it? My mate got these lights a few years back and he got the bus bar but I can't remeber where relay terminals it bridged. Unfortunately he sold his van so I can't check. How did you get round the left hand drive issue? Thanks for any info you can give me. Chris

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have the same prob with mine but dont have a busbar. Where did you get yours from?
Had this same prob years ago when fitting twin lights to a single chamber lighted mk3 golf so will do a bit of digging as I imagine it'll be in the same place on the fusebox

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone have measurements to correctly align T4 headlights. The information in the Haynes manual is sketchy to say the least.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi
just finished rebuilding mine....eventually after a few months searching for bits ,i have completly overhauled them and repainted them.back on the bus now and worth the effort.......i have a pair of dip beam hella complete lamps for sale in good nick......i have changed mine to uk spec bmw lamps with correct beam pattern....also managed to find new spotlight lamps too so looking new on the van......
get in touch if you need dipped headlamp replacement bits ....original projektzwo ................not made any longer

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm looking for a replacement high beam unit as one of mine has cracked glass.

Are they fitted as standard to other vehicles that may be got from a scrapper? or does anyone have a spare?

lots of numbers on the front:

04HR 02A
301-127057

cheers
Griff

·
Registered
111 Posts

Are they fitted as standard to other vehicles that may be got from a scrapper? or does anyone have a spare?

04HR 02A
301-127057

was also wondering if the dipped beam is changeable for driving abroad?

cheers
Griff

·
Registered
111 Posts

Hella
04HR 02A
301-127057

cheers
Griff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts