VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why ladders are recommended to be fitted on the offside rather than nearside door.

Is it because:
- it doesnt obscure the numberplate (does this matter? it wont obscure it much..)?
- it is stronger (both doors are shut so maybe somehow this is a more rigid frame)?

I would like to fit nearside if possible, I think it would look better on the same side as my awning..

Also, are the fixing kits that come with Rhino/screwfix and vanguard kits strong enough? Do people overengineer with flatbar and huge washers etc. And is it better to have a ladder that hangs off the top of the door for extra strength? (where do you get them)

Any ideas, much appreciated, I've been wasting a lot of time trying to decide what to do..
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
..but seriously, you got any ideas about the ladder fixings, a lot of people sell them, and have obviously fitted them, but I cant see any stickies/ tutorials about issues with them anywhere.. cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit of searching later, and reason they say to fit offside is because of obscuring the numberplate (normally fitted nearside). Not as bad as if you had a bike rack hanging over the numberplate, because you can probably still see through the ladder, but its enough of a reason to be pulled over, and possibly fined. Its nothing to do with the strength of having both doors shut. But climbing on the ladder, swinging around with the door open probably isn't a great idea. About strengthening the fixings, its a personal choice, vanguard say their fittings are enough, but also say the ladder is only for up to 100kilos, so I'm bang on that and will probably overengineer, but if you are lighter then probably no worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts