VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone got experience of fitting the rear side glass to the outside of the van without cutting the aperture?

Can you simply just stick it on, or do you have to do anything special?
e.g. cut small hole in side of van, or don't fully bond?

What's the best method?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
We mask off the area where the bond will go, and spray the panel inside this with black paint. This stops the light going through the glass (assuming you are using dark tint to start off with) and showing the paint colour. We then bond in the normal way, but leave an inch gap in front and rear lower corners. This will allow for expansion in the sun and for any water to freely drain out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's as if you're all psychic! :eek:
i was just contemplating this very issue only this morning and wondering if in fact anyone did this kind of thing? i do like the look of the glass along the full length of the van, but due to installing a 'garage' section at the back (for mtb's) i didn't want to actually cut the window out.

i've only had the van 3 wks (vw virgin :eek:) yet it seems that everytime i find myself in a quandary, the answer just appears on the forum! like magic :wzd

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi had this done to mine, it looks a lot better imo and fitting is as described in ed-j's post, also keeps van warmer in winter and cooler in summer go for it*<:)>

·
Banned
102 Posts
i did excatly the same as described. limo tint window 1st
only difference i did was put 2 blobs of sealer in the centre of the window just to stop any
vibes or such (peace of mind mostly)
*<:)>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts