VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience of fitting an SCA poptop into a T5 SWB roof that has a factory-fitted sunroof in it?
Probably will get the SCA 194 high-lift, but I think the cutouts are all the same. Looks like the existing hole that the sunroof fits into extends beyond the cutout needed for the SCA poptop, so maybe new welding needed to fill the gap - & make weather-tight.
I'll miss the sunroof, but we really need an elevating roof for sleeping space.
Any advice/experience appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
The sunroof hole does extend a few inches beyond the strengthening frame. But this area is covered by the pod. You could either weld a section in or rivet and sikaflex a panel in. It will not bee seen or subject to any weather. Obviously it needs painting, but not to the standards of a respray.
Its not a big problem. Just a bit more work to cut away and flush the sunroof opening so it sits nicely on the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
We tend to sika and rivet in one of the rear roof beams that gets cit out. They are noce and strong dur to their profile, just happen to be exactly the right size and they already follow the correct curve of the roof. Like Ed said its worth treating any bare metal. We normally lay a little silent coat in the channel of the beam just to be belt and braces. T:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Slidepods (I turned off predictive texting on my mobile, was sending all sorts of weird messages!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts