VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All *<:)>

New to the site so sorry if this has been covered...

I have recently bought my first T4 van (1997) and I'm looking to covert it into a bit of a camper.

I would like to fit some seats in the back (4), and some windows... Can anyone suggest which seats/windows I need and how to fit them? The windows seem relativaly simple but wondering about seats and how they fit to the floor and how this effects the MOT?

Any advice is welcome, and appeciated.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rob,

I was going to post a similar question.

My T4 has seats fitted in the rear, they are clearly fitted after being sold from new. They are a double seat with recliners and seat belts and do not match the front seats.

My insurers, (NFU), will not accept them as I do not have proof that they were profesionally fitted so I will probably have to take them out.

I phoned Murreys in Plymouth, (local main dealers), to see if they would certify them. They said they don't fit any seats which were not fitted in the factory, they will not even fit a new VW seat.

They said to get in touch with G M Coachworks, a local company so I will do in the new year.

I think you have to think in terms of 2 types of seating, is it for use whilst driving or only when parked. I would guess if only when parked you can do what you want.

The trouble with insurers of course is that they will look for any reason not to pay up.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
869 Posts
posted this in a simila thread.
Have a look at the feet of the units. Most seats for T4 and T5 are fitted using mushroom bolts. The are (funnily enough) mushroom shaped bolts that are placed on floor bolted through floor. Under the van you have captive nuts (spreader plates basically metal with a nut welded into it) that fit exactly in the chassis rail underneath. They can be fitted loose underneath or pop rivetted and welded to rail for security. The bolts are then tightened up and the seats fitted forward of bolt and then dragged backwards clicking into place. To release lift lever up and kick the legs of the seats to free them.
Good luck! insurance wise dont go for more than 6 inc driver.
search the forum -pay cheap pay twice.
the forum does not allow criticism of products so ask around.
have fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts