VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after improving the sound in my van. Currently have the standard speakers and 2 6x9's in the rear. I'm looking to invest in an amp and then some more speakers for the front and then a sub somewhere in the rear.

What I want to know is, is it advisable to find speaker to the door cards, and if so do they need reinforcing at all? As I would guess that a powerful speaker will simply vibrate the plastic and give a rubbish sound?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
dont know if you have seen a pic of my door cards but i have 5 speakers in each i reinforced mine with 9mm mdf hope this helps T:

·
Registered
228 Posts
cheers :),may give me some inspiration to sort mine out,and add to the list,now ready to chuck my injectors in ready for remapA:

·
Registered
269 Posts
On another topic to fitting speakers in door cards where can you buy the rubber conduit for speaker cable between the body and door?

·
Registered
154 Posts
so is this a tricky thing to do? The new van just has the standard front speakers and fitting to the door cards would make life alot easier

·
Registered
979 Posts
just wondered if there was any outher solutions for this as i went to euro vans today and they wanted £48 i think it was for a passenger door pocket i have speakers weighting to go in. was wondering about making some sort of cone type thing to mount to the door card to hold the speaker but thinking that will probly look a bit ****e. i read you should be able to get the pockets for £25 but cant find anywhere that is that cheap.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Standard door pocket cut for speaker and crossover

Both fitted

Tweeter in door card (prior to paint)

Pocket carpeted (OK - it's the other side, but you get the idea)

The finished article

Sound quality is OK (I don't have the greatest head unit or anything) - and I've coupled the components with some 4" dash speakers, a 10" sub that sits right behind the driver's seat and a pair of cheapo 6x9s in the back with some cheapo amps

:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cool covering :ILU:

Did you use some super stretchy stuff to get it to mold.
Fancy doing mine for a small fee ;);)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The speakers in mine are 6" components. The carpet is the normal stuff from Martrim. Getting it to fit is a by-product of being a Bentley trained interior trimmer in a former life... I:

I'd offer to do it, but then I'd get accused of being a trader again - but I WILL offer my advice for free :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I read that, really don't want to start that debate off again :eek::eek::eek:

I will order some carpet and give it a bash. I have a spare drivers pocket so nothing lost.

Cheers

·
Registered
979 Posts
i had a good ring around all the local vw dealers and they all seam to want £43 per door pocket i have a long shot to try at the weekend for a used one but at the moment i cant find anything:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts