VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we're looking at getting our first T4, one we've seen doesn't have electrical hook up, leisure battery or split charge kit installed. How much work is involved, and is it the sort of thing you'd advise can be done with instructions, youTube and swearing, or am I just better off taking it to someone who knows what they're doing, and more importantly will do it properly and safely?

Anyone ever done this with no experience in car electrics? Or indeed, any electrical work?

cheers!

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,658 Posts
Read, read and re-read as many posts as you can about the subject.

Get it wrong, and you have a nice bonfire where your van once stood.

BTW, UK is not very helpful as a location if you're looking for someone to help you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read, read and re-read as many posts as you can about the subject.

Get it wrong, and you have a nice bonfire where your van once stood.

BTW, UK is not very helpful as a location if you're looking for someone to help you.
Cheers, I suspected the bonfire might be a non-optional extra. I suspect I'll be paying for someone who knows what they're doing to get work done.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,791 Posts
I knew pretty much nothing about auto electrics when I began ........ was really afraid of destroying my van while attempting it.
As Mr Gazm says, there's a lot of research to do, but then how do you know which install 'howto' to follow, some are a little iffy as I found out at a later date, once I became a little more knowledgeable on the subject.

The following link should help out a little. At least it will show you the basics of a good setup. They also sell ready made 'kit's you just wiring them in. I would say, go for the best you can afford, like the heavy duty type. You will learn in time that you're forever adding extra luxuries and gizmo's, so an expandable system that can cope with heavy current requirements will pay off in the end.

> http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5026

You can of course design and fit the entire system yourself, you need to know a lot more to do it that way, as you will need to determine what is a good quality product as opposed to Chinese garbage.

If you're not sure of your auto electrical work, you can always run all the cabling, install the leisure battery, do various connections ..... then take it to a qualified auto electrician to complete the install and test it for safety.

Hope that helps mate.

TURK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew pretty much nothing about auto electrics when I began ........ was really afraid of destroying my van while attempting it.
As Mr Gazm says, there's a lot of research to do, but then how do you know which install 'howto' to follow, some are a little iffy as I found out at a later date, once I became a little more knowledgeable on the subject.

The following link should help out a little. At least it will show you the basics of a good setup. They also sell ready made 'kit's you just wiring them in. I would say, go for the best you can afford, like the heavy duty type. You will learn in time that you're forever adding extra luxuries and gizmo's, so an expandable system that can cope with heavy current requirements will pay off in the end.

> http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5026

You can of course design and fit the entire system yourself, you need to know a lot more to do it that way, as you will need to determine what is a good quality product as opposed to Chinese garbage.

If you're not sure of your auto electrical work, you can always run all the cabling, install the leisure battery, do various connections ..... then take it to a qualified auto electrician to complete the install and test it for safety.

Hope that helps mate.

TURK
Turk; that's a fantastic link, thanks for sharing. That diagram makes perfect sense, as does your advice on installing a heavy duty set up, and also getting someone to check it out. cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.