VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of you for timber floors to your van and I am toying with the idea of doing the same to my T4 SWB. It already has the factory orginal fitted carpet in the rear, in good condition, but I like the easy clean factor of vinyl. The carpet will make a good template but my questions are:

1. Do you fix the ply to the floor or can it just sit there?
2. If you fix it to the floor, how?
3. Wouldn't the ply be too high at the side step? How do you address that fro a clean look?

Thanks,

Baz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is just resting
bulkhead step and R&R beds keeps it in place.
Check my build thread for step hight, I just put some pics up A:
Thanks. Your van is looking fantatsic... great effort!

I'm just curious how you got from the first picture to the last picture, with the nice clean line of the step sitting over/flush with the ply floor? I would think the ply would sit higher than the step trim, especially if I sit the ply over the existing carpert for cushioning (or Dynamat). What ply thickness did you use - 9mm? Sorry, don't know the imperial equivalent but if you tell me the imperial measurement, I can convert to mm to buy the right ply here. :):

Had my step since Octoberfest last year! So thought it was time to fit it properly.
Also bought some L.E.Ds on offer @ B&Q £10 for 10 lights T:

Thought it would be best to overhaul the sliding door rollers, etc, before I fix the step. Glad I did, with so much cack in there I could have started a window box. Well happy with the final outcome.

As with all my biuld it has to be a removable fix

Thanks,

Baz

·
Registered
725 Posts
As far as I know, the side step also has a piece of whatever thickness ply you are using beneath it (on the flat floor part you actually step onto!) - effectively taking the whole plastic step up the same height, so it sits flush with the new floor.

The only thing you will then need to do is construct a trim to run around the edge right by the sill - however you might find that painting the ply the same colour as the step will hide it sufficiently.

HTH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, the side step also has a piece of whatever thickness ply you are using beneath it (on the flat floor part you actually step onto!) - effectively taking the whole plastic step up the same height, so it sits flush with the new floor.

The only thing you will then need to do is construct a trim to run around the edge right by the sill - however you might find that painting the ply the same colour as the step will hide it sufficiently.

HTH
Ahhh!!!... I think that makes sense... I have some ply offcuts, so I will experiment with different thicknesses and see how it sits and if the side step will click into place. I think the floor ribs will bring the ply floor up pretty high compared to the original carpet, where the backing molds to the ribs. :dunno:

Cheers,

Baz

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In one of the pics you can see the spacer used
Has hole in it, its a peice of pine cut and shaped to the correct thickness. then treated and the front is sprayed black .

As I like to build it so it can all be removed I

Step has two hole drilled to recieve spacer
spacer has two bolts that will fit to step. 4 screws in the top of the spacer (lined up with the orig push clips on step)

So step slides onto spacer, then fit spacer to van step, then bolt up from under the van, cover in waxoil = job done

I have more pics - I think - pm if you need any more info T:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In one of the pics you can see the spacer used
Has hole in it, its a peice of pine cut and shaped to the correct thickness. then treated and the front is sprayed black .

As I like to build it so it can all be removed I

Step has two hole drilled to recieve spacer
spacer has two bolts that will fit to step. 4 screws in the top of the spacer (lined up with the orig push clips on step)

So step slides onto spacer, then fit spacer to van step, then bolt up from under the van, cover in waxoil = job done

I have more pics - I think - pm if you need any more info T:
Thanks. I think I get the idea. I'm not keen on drilling holes in my vans if I can help it but I just might have to in this case.

Cheers,

Baz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.