VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 VW Kombi that I ordered without a window in the tail gate for security reasons. For a good few years I have used an old style (so old it has a rotating hard drive) TomTom. I removed the redundant rear view mirror and used some clamps intended for photographic use to mount the rather heavy old TomTom from the mirror mount. I ran the power lead from under the roof lining and it was a very neat if rather complicated solution - it had to be to take the weight.

I have just replaced the old TomTom with a TomTom 6000 which is a much bigger unit with a 6" display but is very light. It has a permanent data connection for traffic info and map updates and I prefer the big screen to the screen on my phone. Also the data works across Europe at no extra cost which I find incredibly useful. Now, for T5 users this is the interesting bit: remote your rear view mirror from the windscreen mounted ball mount. Remove the TomTom mount from its ball mount. They are exactly the same size. Push the Tom Tom mount onto the mirror mount. Not only is it a perfect fit, the TomTom fits just touching the roof lining making the neatest retro fit you have ever seen. Drop the power cable from the roof lining and you have a perfect installed system. In the next month or so I will be ordering a replacement Transporter, again with windowless rear doors and when delivered, the TomTom will be an immediate install.

Tim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts