VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new owner of a T5 (2006 1.9) here. Overall I'm extremely happy with her. When I bought the van however, it stupidly never occurred to me to look at the roof. With the first heavy rainfall after purchasing, I noticed a damp circle appearing on the ceiling fabric. When I looked at the roof, this is what I found.

I got some estimates from some local companies to fix it. They all told us they would only be interested in doing the entire roof, and quoted us around £1500. I've since spoken with the seller, and he says they could do it themselves for about £150. We live a fair distance from them though, and it would no doubt involve an overnight stay, so I'm wondering if should just give fixing it a go myself.

Could you guys possibly offer me any advice as to how you would tackle this? Is it just a case of taking out those blanking bolts, sanding back the hole areas to the metal, filling the holes with a fiber glass filler, smoothing the patches, then priming, painting and lacquer to finish? Any pointers you could give me would be hugely appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,483 Posts
£1500 ouch, would never cost that much. Grinder and flappy pad to take that rust off, if really required cut the rust out if you don't get down to clean metal. Then weld in some clean metal, flatten the welds off and then filler and then paint the roof.
I e got some deadlocks to remove and that won't cost me anywhere near £1500

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Put the money into a pop top instead?

For a fix though I would imagine you'd need to cut out the bad bits, weld in a small section, grind it back and then prime/paint it. It's evidently rusting now and it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the suggestions, and apologies for the delay in replying. Sadly the sunroof idea is just not an affordable option here so...I'm going to follow Pothole and petesbeat's advice for the fix. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But you guys recommend welding as opposed to something like P40? Could P40 do the job? Or would you need to have access to the other side to use it properly?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,770 Posts
Personally, I would go with filler. That area is not heavily stressed so I can't see why you would need weld strength in that location. You may need to use something (not a big hammer) to bend the edges of the hole down a little so that you can feather the filler onto the rest of the roof.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a pic of one of the holes. Diameter is about 7mm. The gunk on the surrounding paintwork is just residue from the silver tape I had temporarily covering it before the autumn rain arrived.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem with holes in roof from a previously fitted roof-rack, the holes had been filled with filler, but because they are bolt holes and the metal not having much thickness in the roof , it cracks around the hole in time and allows water and dampness in, plus rusting around the hole.

I pushed all holes through, cleaned them back to metal and then plugged them with liquid metal filler,sanding back on outside but making sure the inside of holes weir bigger than the outside hole, crating more strength in the bond.

2 winters on, no leaks, rust marks or cracking around the holes. It worked for me !

·
Registered
961 Posts
If it's not to late, use wire brush in a drill to clean rust, both in and outside. Then use a rust converter. Then a couple coats of a GOOD primer, like A weld through primer. Obviously let everything dry between coats. (Takes longer this time of year.

Make a small sheet of masking tape by adding a couple of strips together side by side. Put a small blob of fibreglass filler onto sticky side of masking tape sheet then apply the filler to the INSIDE of the roof panel. The masking tape will stick to the roof and you can use your fingers to smooth the filler and it will push through the hole. Then from outside use an applicator to spread the filler gently out over the area. Let it dry.

Sand back, apply a stopper or easy sand filler to it then sand back to feather the paint/filler join.

This way you create a repair that won't vibrate loose.T:

·
Registered
146 Posts
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1162169

I had holes from a roof vent. See the above thread. I put some sheet metal on the underside and bonded it to the metal (can't see now due to roof lining). Then used fibre glass to fill the holes (need this to make water tight), then some p40 as much easier to sand, then primer, spray paint and clear lacquer top coat. blended in pretty well and would have to look closely to notice - the fact that your van is white should help with this. All in all cost me about £50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts