VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided it was about time to start a build thread for our van conversion! :)

Here it is as we bought it, 09 plate T28 1.9 previously owned by a florist.

Once we got it home I stripped out the ply lining and gave it a good clean inside. It had 4 years worth of leaves and twigs under the floor but cleaned up like new.

There were a few screw holes in the floor which I tackled with red oxide and sealed up with Tiger seal. I was keen to crack on so started with a couple of quick and easy mods - Kiravans double seat swivel and Dubflecta retro wind deflectors.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dean (Vandoc) then came along and made a fantastic job of fitting the windows. Fixed windows along the near side and barn doors. Slider in the offside behind the driver and dummy window in the offside rear quarter.

Then I tackled the sound proofing and insulation. I won't show lots of pics as it was pretty standard with silver foil bubble wrap with recycled bottle sandwiched in between.

Then I tackled the carpeting, mega van mats stretch carpet in smoke and hidden clips for the side panels and roof. Took a bit longer than I thought it would, about 3 days all in, but I didn't want to rush it. I actually really enjoyed doing this and got real satisfaction from seeing it come together.

I tucked the carpet under the window trims to give a really neat finish.

You'll see the RIB bed in the back in these pics waiting to be fitted. It's just a standard 112cm non sliding RIB in Inca cloth supplied by Kiravans (who were excellent by the way, kept me updated with delivery progress throughout).

Next stop was Vanworx down in Portland to have their pull tested RIB frame fitted. Great guys, would highly recommend their services.

Here's the van with the remaining carpeted panels in place, RIB fitted, altro flooring (dolphin grey).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then I fitted van-x curtains all round. They are the premium black out in grey and were quite straight forward to fit. Make sure you've got lots of spare drill bits for the pilot holes, I broke about 4 or 5. If you're going to use the self tappers provided make sure you drill a decent pilot hole and bear in mind some of the panels are double skinned, be gentle when tightening as they are quite soft. The barn doors took a bit of thought how to fit the top rail, but thanks to this forum I managed to do a reasonable job!

I had to do something about the steel wheels so picked up some 18" sportlines from Breeze VW, Poole and then got 235/50 Hankook Ventus Evos fitted. Great tyres, much quieter than the goodyears which were on the steels.

Here they are on the van, sitting 40mm lower on H&R springs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic from our latest trip to Brokerswood near Longleat. We visited the safari park (but avoided the monkey enclosure!) - great day out for all the family.

Before this trip I fitted a c channel rail to the roof bar holes so that we could use our new Khyam sun canopy, good bit of kit, if a little long for a SWB van so I may have to try and alter it. I'll get some pics next time it's up.

Hoping to get to Busfest to check out interior units as that's the next job! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the positive comments guys. Still lots to do but loving owning it and we've already had some great family trips in it so I'm sure it's going to become a much loved member of the family. My wife has already given it a name - "Winnipeg" or "Winnie" for short!

Team Flannel Grey :ILU:
Definately the best colour! Your van is great inspiration, loved your magazine article. T:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of minor additions this weekend both from Kiravans. Cab mat to suit the double swivel base and a base plate to go in the double passenger seat - when you fit the swivel base you lose the storage as the greasy swivel plate is at the bottom of the seat base, the metal plate and carpet sort this nicely.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good, that carpet is on my shopping list :) :D
It fits perfectly, really pleased with it and the service from Kiravans. T:

looks neat same colour as mine :ILU:
It's a cool colour, it seems to be the first thing anyone comments on when they see the van in the flesh. :cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a fantastic day at Busfest yesterday. Main reason we went was to finalise our decision on interior units - we're going to go with Evo Motion design DIY kit to suit the 112cm RIB in carbon with black top and table.

Ended up with another addition to the van courtesy of my six year old son who loved all the stickers. I think strictly speaking he is a JDM character but who cares, my son thinks its cool! :*

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When we were at busfest we spent a lot of time looking at the Evo Motion design furniture and chatting to Jon. I've now ordered units to suit the RIB in carbon with black work top and tabletop. Really excited. Should be around 2 weeks until they are ready, can't wait, it's going to make such a difference to the van. H:

Just need to crack on with the electrics now as I want to run the wiring in before fitting the furniture.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Couple of minor additions today.

I fitted a rear view mirror as the van didn't have one as originally it had solid barn doors. You can't see a massive amount out the back window with the RIB in the way but it just feels better, before when I was driving along, I kept looking up at the mirror which wasn't there and it was really annoying! :D

Also added an iPad mount to the drivers headrest so the boys can watch movies in the back. I had to mod the mount as the headrest "legs" were too thick. Works well and seems solid enough. The boys have given it the thumbs up! T:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.