VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've just had a slightly worrying experience in my T4 2.4D

I hadn't driven it in about 2 months because of lockdown and just went to give it a spin. Engine started fine but could hear a flapping noise from the engine and had very little power. It moved but I couldn't get it up the ramp from the car park. I went to inspect the engine and the noise stopped after a minute or so. Everything seemed fine after that and drove more smoothly than I remembered it did before.

I thought it could be a timing belt issue but I had that changed just over a year ago! Maybe fan belt but that wouldn't explain the loss of power.

If anyone has any ideas, please help me!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Pigeon stuck in the air intake!
Sorry, don't know the engine so nothing sensible....but hope you got a smile..... :)

EDIT: OH....sensible(ish) answer:
Alternators have been known to seize if unused....would put a vast strain on the engine, and possibly make the belt flap?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Try taking the belt off?
I "thought" the big units on T4s would be OK, but on my Smart forum, read about people fitting new, driving 3 months, parking up over winter, and engine won't turn over at all! (700cc engine...LOL)
Squirt of lubricating oil (NOT WD40!!!) into it, cures it 90% of the time.

Also, do you have P/S.....maybe that pump is causing drag?
Aircon pump (though doubt you have it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by big units?

It could be power steering, was gonna be a job to look into that this weekend as there's been a bit of a squeal when turning. Probs just low liquid though

No way do I have aircon haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try taking the belt off?
I "thought" the big units on T4s would be OK, but on my Smart forum, read about people fitting new, driving 3 months, parking up over winter, and engine won't turn over at all! (700cc engine...LOL)
Squirt of lubricating oil (NOT WD40!!!) into it, cures it 90% of the time.

Also, do you have P/S.....maybe that pump is causing drag?
Aircon pump (though doubt you have it).
What do you mean by big units?

It could be power steering, was gonna be a job to look into that this weekend as there's been a bit of a squeal when turning. Probs just low liquid though

No way do I have aircon haha

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Well, by "big units" I meant a Smart alternator will just about cover the palm of one hand....the T4 on needs 2 hands (and as the old joke said, I still piddled on 3 of my fingers!).
The clearances in the T4 90-120-150 alternators are much greater than the tiny one I was talking about.
BUT...IF you have salt on your roads (LOL...your "flag" is for "gawd knows where"..certainty not Peterborough), but yeah...you have SALT on your roads.
I'm lucky where I live..they don't use it...just plough the roads and leave 2" of snow for grip (studded winter tyres :D )
Salt gets into the rotor.....rust froms between rotor and stator, and takes a LOT off effort to 1st free it.
Once rotating....it should be OK...until next time!

I'd say....1st test, remove the alternator/PS belt.
You can drive a fair distance without (depending upon arm muscles), and see if that cures it.
Then you have narrowed it down to 2 problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm lucky where I live..they don't use it...just plough the roads and leave 2" of snow for grip (studded winter tyres :D )
Salt gets into the rotor.....rust froms between rotor and stator, and takes a LOT off effort to 1st free it.
Once rotating....it should be OK...until next time!
Leave 2" of snow? We can't drive over here even when the roads are clear but the pavements have a "wet look" to them. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts