VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gong to be sound deadening the van using Tecsound 50 along with old plastic bottle insulation and eventually carpet the ply line, am i wasting time and money on flashbanding?

Thanks

Iain

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, it looks to be doing the same job.

Plus if you use flashband (over say SilentCoat), you're relying on a cheap building product (being used for an application for which it's not designed) to provide a suitable base for a (probably not so cheap) acoustic product. If the flashband fails, so does the Tecsound.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Tried putting it on my wheel arches in the hot weather and it went like chocolate and started to run and the smell was strong.
I took it off as I'm sure it would have leaked into my carpeting. Great for roofs but not inside a van.
Most of my van is closed cell insulation, 10mm and tin foil bubblewrap with bottle insulation in the wall panels. Works well for me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
After some thought last year, I went with Silent Coat reasons being;
Silent Coat uses a very high grade adhesive and contains no bitumen, so stays stuck in extreme temperatures and won't give off any nasty ashfelt smells that you could possibly get with bitumen made FlashBand. Also Silent Coat is none flammable, I would say other products made of bitumen such as FlashBand are quite flammable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you're going to use flashing tape make sure you use the Butyl version rather than the bitumen backed stuff.

Silentcoat is butyl backed....

I have this in one of my cars, it's been in for well over 10 years and been baked at shows and it is all still firmly fixed. You need to ensure the surface is clean and dry (a wipe over with meths or IPA will do the trick), then apply and warm with a hair dryer or hot air gun and gently roller with a rubber wallpaper edge roller. If it is fixed in panels where water runs (in doors for example) then start at the bottom and slightly overlap the next piece above and so on so the water never has a chance to run behind (same principle as cladding on a house and so on).

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it is fixed in panels where water runs (in doors for example) then start at the bottom and slightly overlap the next piece above and so on so the water never has a chance to run behind (same principle as cladding on a house and so on).
Top tip, although I achieved the same precautionary result by using aluminium tape for all the joints between my SilentCoat pieces.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used Silent coat on the ceiling and wheel arches as i thought this is where it is most likely to receive most heat and wanted to get the wheel arches looking good with a reflective coating, for direct carpet application, but i used flash banding, very successfully on the side panel, followed by closed cell foam then foil blanket type stuff, remember its only to used to densen the panels to take out some of the tinniness. so it doesn't need to cover everything.

Ultimatley it's upto you, if you have a brand new spanker of a van then i would think twice about it but, if your taking on something thats a fair bit older, then perhaps think about investing the cash else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts