VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Its been a long time hunting but i have finally purchased my first T4 so forgive me if this is a common problem.

Was driving today when the glow plug light started flashing which instantly filled me with dread and I presumed that there was a glow plug issue or something more serious!!!

Having researched it on here I have realised that this probably means that i have a brake issue so i popped out and tried the brakes..... Here's the weird thing, when i press the brake pedal, the rear O/S brake light works fine but not the rear N/S isn't working, although the front O/S headlight comes on with the brake pedal.

Has anyone come across this before?

I'm presuming it may well be the brake light switch which needs replacing although could it be a wiring issue if the headlight is coming on and would this be the cause of the glow plug light flashing?

Any info would be appreciated, :*

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like you might have a single pin bilb fitted where you should have a two pin ie stop and tail check your bulbs first T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RIGHT!!!

I have waited for the girlfriend to come back from work and had her pressing the brake pedals for me and the situation is as follows:

with the ignition off:

when brake pedal is pushed down both brake lights work along with O/S sidelight

with lights switched on, both brake lights work along with ONLY the O/S sidelight

with the ignition on:

BOTH sidelights work along with the brakelights

However when you switch the sidelights on the O/S one comes on instantly and the N/S light takes longer to gradually come on.

Also although I havent paid attention to the brightness of other T4 lights I would say that the rear lights when switched on are paricularly bright and when the brakes are applied there is only a subtle change...... not sure if that is relevant though

Now I am really lost!!!!

PLEASE HELP!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think I would start by checking that all your rear light bulbs are of the correct wattage and in the correct holders.

When you test your brakes with the ignition off, you haven't accidentally got your indicator on have you? This would cause your side light to come on as it acts as a parking light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the indicators are definately not left on.... Seems very strange to me, I'll have another look today :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i had similar thing when the paint sprayers took the rear clusters out,they put the wrong connectors
back in and it was causing bad earths etc, i think they put a spare connector in that didn't need to go in.
one that hangs loose in the rear light cluster housing. have you disconected the rear lights for any reason?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts