VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Flashing Glow Plug light - Help!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fazza79 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've just brought a beautiful van from a friend of mine, full service history and we'll looked after.

I picked the van up yesterday and one hour into the three hour drive home the engine management light started flashing. I pulled over turned the engine off rested it for a few minutes and then turned it back on, no more flashing light for the rest of the journey home.

I then spoke to my friend who said he had the same issue 6 months earlier tool it to a garage but nothing showed up on the diagnostic. Does anybody know what this could be? All help would be greatly appreciated.
I've added a photo of the issue and one a much more enjoyable one of the van.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hello All,

I've just brought a beautiful van from a friend of mine, full service history and we'll looked after.

I picked the van up yesterday and one hour into the three hour drive home the engine management light started flashing. I pulled over turned the engine off rested it for a few minutes and then turned it back on, no more flashing light for the rest of the journey home.

I then spoke to my friend who said he had the same issue 6 months earlier tool it to a garage but nothing showed up on the diagnostic. Does anybody know what this could be? All help would be greatly appreciated.
I've added a photo of the issue and one a much more enjoyable one of the van.

View attachment 189653
View attachment 189654
Hi i have the same problem and have been throught it for last 3 years. Still no closer first time was a melted wire. Does it come on when temp is right and engine under load and you lift off? Love to know of you sort it as i am at my wits end with it.

#7 ·
Hi, it came on when I was just doing normal motorway driving, I may have been accelerating a bit at the time to overtake but I can't remember. As per previous comments I've got it booked in for a proper diagnostic a week Friday. I'm taking it to swift motor engineering in Newcastle which I've seen reccomended on here and has good reviews. I will let you know if they pick anything up.

#8 ·
Lift the bonnet Have a look at the back of the egr valve and you’ll find an actuator. You should be able to lift it with a finger up and down. If you can’t then your egr valve needs replacing. Where are you based? If you anywhere near London then I can plug it in to read stores fault codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.