VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrr
Ive not used the van for 4 days and had a flat batt this morning. Only just turned over. had to start it using our faithful old focus. Now running with no warning lights.

Is this usual for a 09 2.5 battery after nearly 3 years??????
*<:)>

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Falt batt season

Leave anything on, interior lights, sidelights,something plugged in the ciggy lighter socket, door slightly open...

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Batteries are a bit of a lottery i'm afraid. You could one that will last 10 years and others only two. It is also worth remembering that modern vehicles have small batteries as a huge reservoir is not needed as starting is usually instantaneous. Like has been said already, any small continuous drain will take a battery down overnight. Particularly when it's around 0 degrees.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Battery could be on the way out - give it a good external charge & double check that nothing is draining it down - it may be OK - as upspex says batteries are a bit of a lottery.

·
Registered
892 Posts
mine drains after 5 days, seems to be a current drain of some kind but having pulled out every fuse I can't eliminate it. Going to have to get the alternator checked out. In the meantime I am just going to disconnect the battery and wait for the snow to disappear. I have a Skoda on winter tyres so there's no way I'm taking out the van on 18 inch low profiles!! *<:)>

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not used mine for 9 days now so I plugged him in this morning to give both batteries a charge before I go out tonight.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. I had to shoot off to work as running late, before I could read them. Ive been doing a lot of short runs of late so maybe thats not helped.
*<:)>

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
mine did it at weekend aswell after not using it for a while,

just wish that the problem was the batttery,but no,it is the alternater.:eek::eek::eek:

so there is a nice big bill a couple of weeks before xmas.:(:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, my van is 04, but found that the battery was running down over about a week. I dont use it every day. So thought the battery was on its way out so treated myself to a new one. At the same time I bought a battery trickle charger (ctek), which are brilliant. It has a connector which makes it easy to plug in quickly. This new connector had a battery 'health indicator' on it, which again showed the battery losing its charge.

So not sure how its discharging, nothing is on!! However its not really a problem as I leave the trickle charger on so I am never dissapointed. Just quickly unplug it and know I have a full charge.

If anyone has any advice why it might discharge I will explore it. Or how to check.

If anyone is interested in the charger its a ctek 7000, I also have one on my MX5 which tends to be laid up in the winter and they are well worth it, fully charged battery which doesnt need replacing and no grief days!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
as soon as the weather got colder here the battery that came with the t4 died. looked bit anyway. took me many checks on fuses etc before I admitted it, and the odd load test I: but after buying a stupidly expensive Varta silver batt (to survive the -25c winter) she's alive again.
will drive her for at least half hour twice a week when the snow comes... but a new batt should be fine outside for 2 weeks in -minus weather shouldn't it? (i'm flying home for xmas)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts