VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there- I just picked up my new (04) T5 this w/end in which I have a 3 way fridge & a new leisure battery- put it on on Sat to cool it & the entire battery system is dead today! This is my first go at campervanning- I was under the impression0n it would run off of the leisure batt then stop working when the leisure died?
Only concerning to me as hoping to go off to Europe this week & don't want it happening again!
All help/advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not too sure if I'm correct on this, but I think a 3 way fridge should only be run on 12v when the vehicle is running, wired through a relay, similar to a split charge, I think 3 way fridges have a massive drain on power, hence the reason your battery may be flat.
I hope that helps and I've not told you a load of rubbish, but that is how I believe 3 way fridges run.
T:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Firstly I am not an electrics boffin, simply a guy who has converted my own van.

If you are saying that the leisure and vehicle battery are dead, then it sounds like whoever fitted the leisure battery didn't fit a split charge relay, possibly just ran an extra set of wires from the main to leisure which would explain why it's all dead or fitted the split charge relay incorrectly. If it helps I fitted this type and it works like a dream and is easy to fit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-KIT-12V-30AMP-SELF-SWITCHING_W0QQitemZ110427571196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item19b5ff03fc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Personally I didn't bother with Scotch Block Fuse Holders though as they are rubbish, I got 2 waterproofed 30amp ones from Maplins for about £2.50 each (I use 25amp fuses and not 30amp ones which is the same as the wire, so that the fuses are the weakest point) and cut them in and crimped.

Hope this helps.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for that- yes- that appears to be exactly what has happened. Won't have time to get the split charger fitted as off to France tomorrow so I think I'll just have to 12v the fridge to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can use the 12v function while the engine is running but just switch it off whenever you stop, even for say a bit of shopping. My first camper (a T3) used to have the fridge wired straight to the LB and I had probs with the 30A fuse blowing when it needed lots of charge after accidentally being left on for an hour or so whilst in the supermarket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts