VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 10 and 20 watt flexi panels for van roof. Off to Dorset on Sunday for a week and plan to stick them on and get them connected. Probably wont be the best time of year for them, but never mind. Anyone else using them? I've been using a briefcase panel which has served well till now for my needs but something on the roof will be better. Leaves me free to camp anywhere.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was just looking for a solar panel to keep my 85 ah battery topped up.

If I put them on the roof, means the leads have to get inside somewhere.

How are you getting them in or even around the van to their destination ?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
These questions will be better posted in the electrical section, there's a lot of stuff on solar panels there. In answer to both questions, 10w or 20w panels won't make much difference. At 12V, you will be getting either 0.85a or 1.7a if they were facing directly into the sun. Flat on a roof, they won't perform as well. I've just replaced 2 x 50w flexible panels with 2 x 80w of rigid panels. They're brilliant in moderate sunshine, but as soon as it clouds over the performance drops off.

Realistically, on a good summer day, you will only get an average of 5 or 6 hours sunshine, http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-...&TMN=__&SON=__&PRE=__&MOD=TAB&OFFS=00&LANG=en so 20w of panels, might put back in 6a or 7a allowing for their position on the roof not being optimal.

As for getting the cables into the van, I used one of these and stuck it down with Sikaflex. It involves drilling holes in the roof, but it does the job.
Check it out on eBay!

I hope this helps.

Al.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Ya,

I bought a load of these secondhand, came off tracking devices for trailers bit scratched and scraped but work well. As opposed to permantaly fixing them as I wasn't to keen on the weight on the pop top, I linked eight of them together with cable ties and can then fold them up and stow in the back of the van, when I am camped I lean them up against the side of the van which stops the draught blowing under into the awning. This set up usually keeps my 85ah leisure battery fully charged from overnight usage, lights, phones 12 volt appliances, stereo etc.

Have fun

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts