VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys.
I've decided to do the roof and side panels with Harrison's thermolining but I'm unsure how to go about doing the floor?
Can I use the same stuff or is there something different I should be using?
I'm a novice at all this so need some pointers and probably a step by step guide.
I'm wanting to transform the builders van in to a surf van/camper van.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Never heard of thermolining so couldn't give advice on that! The normal procedure for the floor would be to either put the floor ply directly over the cargo floor or battern out the floor with 1 inch timber using grip fill. This would then be insulated in between if you feel the need ( I did). Then screw your ply floor too the batterns!
If you do this you will need to lift the plastic side door step up also.

Depends on what you want to use the van for as to wether you need to insulate the floorT:

T4 life has good pictures on Facebook of customers vans during all stages of conversion! Good for making sure your on the right trackT:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Forgot to add, I used 25mm king span insulation between the floor batterns and they where no more than 300mm between each batternT:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'll be wanting to sleep in the van at some point and just got it in my head it'll need insulating as well, hopefully it'll make it more warmer in the colder months.
I'll take a look on FB, cheers

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It definitely makes it warmer on the cold nights. We use our van all through the year so was worth going that bit extra for not much cost. The same reason I used carpet on the floor rather than Lino! I'd rather not be bare footed of a night and putting my feet onto a cold floor in winterT:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It definitely makes it warmer on the cold nights. We use our van all through the year so was worth going that bit extra for not much cost. The same reason I used carpet on the floor rather than Lino! I'd rather not be bare footed of a night and putting my feet onto a cold floor in winterT:
I'd rather put it in then regret it further on in my build, I don't like the cold so insulating the floor and laying carpet seems the best idea

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I'd rather put it in then regret it further on in my build, I don't like the cold so insulating the floor and laying carpet seems the best idea
I used my van for years with carpet and no insulation on the floor, it was cold and the carpet trapped the moisture and caused rust. I now have a insulated floor (double bubble double foil) and 13mm ply covered with Altro and the difference is amazing, the main thing for me is that any moisture can evaporate T:T:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers jimmy, I'll look in to that double bubble stuff.
I'm a wuss with the cold so need to get the van toasty warm for the cold months.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Remember though insulating the van wont make much difference without a heater. It will keep heat in but wont generate heat in there. But you knew this right :)

I have a small 500w skirting heater I plan to fit for when I have a hook up.. that should take the chill off a bit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
^^ that man just brought up a point that many forget aboutT: we have a propex heater in ours. Along side the upholstery it was one of our best purchasesT: heat on a thermostat, no hook up needed and can be used in the winter to de ice the van! Maybe £430 but you will never regret it

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
this may have been done before but im planning on piping from the van heaters up front going under the floor in the cab and coming into the back so when i turn on the engine and put the blowers on il have heat in the back. only downside would be having to wait for the engine to get warm altough ive also thought about fitting heater plugs in the water system to heat it up :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a novice as far as camper conversions go but I've just insulated my T4 LWB van floor with 25mm Celotex, just glued whole sheets cut to fit in without any battens then fitted half inch ply on top, I made note of where the bolt holes were in the floor and will put a few countersunk bolts in after. I didn't see much point in messing around with glueing battens down, the Celotex is solid enough to support the ply floor and gives more area of insulating material, I don't know if anyone else has done this, I can't really see a problem??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there any point in insulating the floor? Heat rises anyway, and wood is an insulator in itself. I'm not knocking anyone who's done it, but it seems to me that you're paying for more material, and, in some cases at least, reducing the already limited headroom by lifting the floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts