VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully over Christmas I am going to get some time to start putting in the floor.

I have read a lot of posts on here which has been amazing to give me a good idea what to do, so the plan is to stick battons to the floor, insulate between the battons. Then attach the ply to the battons using screws.

I do have a few questions, so any help would be appreciated.

A single piece of ply would be hard to come by and most likely very expensive, so if I am going to have a join which way is best? Length or width of van?

What have other people done with the floor brackets for the 2+1 seats? Is it best to cut the ply around them or can they be removed easily and then mounted on top the ply for a neater job?

It has the standard rubber floor mat, will this be good enough as a template to mark out the ply?

Many Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello Tim,
I am in the same boat as you mate. I have read on here somewhere that if you are going to baton underneath the floor, and then fit a seat/bed then you need to ensure you tell the person fitting it so that they can make sure there is no airgap between the feet of the seat/bed and the floor of the van (safety). With regards to which way is best to cut the ply for the join is to do it down the longest length. That way you can put both outer edges in place so that you have an upside down 'V' pointing towards the roof then just push flat.
If the rubber mat fits to all edges and you are happy with this then it should be ideal for measuring and cutting round. Don't forget, MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Here you go mate, but with no cut outs for seats or rock n roll bed. Used 2 sheets of 12mm ply then fixed down onto the batons, marked the holes, pilot drilled, countersunk then screwed down.

My mate had a template for the floor, so he worked to this (his jigsaw skills are a bit better than mine!), then did some final fine cutting to get a good fit. I marked the ends of the batons as well with white tape so I could get an accurate line on the ply for fixing down.

Hope this helps mate

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Question russbooger but what size batons did you use and did you fix the batons to the metal floor?
Hello mate, think the batons were either 19mm or 22mm or around that size (can't remember to be honest) do a search for floor batons on here - as for fixing down, good old gripfill liberally applied. Remember to make sure when you bed them down the batons are level as well. Some guys use silkaflex as is has a bit more give when dry. Don't make my mistake and use solvent free gripfill as the stuff is useless, then you won't have to remove the lot next day and start over like I did.. :bhd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts