VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna get some ply on the floor of me van before the Cannon's forge bed goes in...it's gonna sit over the existing rubber load mat (cos I want to lino it) but how thick do I want the ply to be?

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
mines 10 or 12 mm i think buddy you don't need it any thinker than that, i've got a full width cannons forge in mine as wellT:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant thanks, just as I expected...and what size sheet did you use? ie, did you get away with an 8' x 4'?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I used 12mm thick plywood for my floor. If you are doing the full florr you will need 2 sheets. From memory you need, 1 full sheet and about 1/4 of the other sheet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used 12mm thick plywood for my floor. If you are doing the full florr you will need 2 sheets. From memory you need, 1 full sheet and about 1/4 of the other sheet.
I did the exact same thing; 12mm ply and 1 and 1/2 sheets. (mines LWB - you need a bit at the back)

I first screwed battons to the floor and put 25mm polystyrene between then the 12mm on top.

Works a treat! T:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used 9mm ply and is strong enough. at the end of the day its all about weight T:
Ah, 9mm, I like the sound of that as mine is only a 1.9td so tryin to keep the weight down. Plus I won't need the polystyrene as I'm keepin' the rubber matting.

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
For insulation buddy i put a couple of layers of the silver backed bubble type under mine as well

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Although weight is important.
Consider how the floor will be fixed and wether or not anything needs fixing to the floor in turn. Of course anything of any weight should always be attached to the structure of the van itself where possible.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although weight is important.
Consider how the floor will be fixed and wether or not anything needs fixing to the floor in turn. Of course anything of any weight should always be attached to the structure of the van itself where possible.
Hopefully Dave of Cannon's forge will be dealing with the attaching of the bed through my board etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts