VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sending this from my phone so forgive the briefness!

I am after some 12v led lights (small round spotlight type) for my van, and would like them to be individually switched and recessed or flush mounted. I know I have definitely seen these in someones van before but can not find them anywhere! Can anyone point me in the right direction?!

Many thanks,
Jo.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ebay or Megavanmats. Have been looking myself as i am about to do the same.:ILU:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like the look of the ikea lights but would like them all individually switched. I'm 99% sure I've seen lights like the first one on this page http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/t5%20interior.htm but recessed. I guess I will just have to compromise on either the switching or the look of the light!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi, I'm sure you could put an inline switch on any light you install, either at the source or at the light. Getting a switch integrated will mean you get a fatter/bigger light and will have to cut it into the lining or it will stick out a lot.
After l-o-a-d-s of searching I have gone for a 6 light kit that is controlled by a remote control and the light level can be dropped using the remote too.
Flat cables (0.1mm) all go back to the control box and I'm going to ditch the transformer to go straight to the leisure battery.
They aren't massively bright but they look really smart and should be plenty when you just want to see what you're doing for long periods of time without killing the battery. The lights are 4mm thick and 50x50mm each.
I got mine from ebay for about £75 for all 6, which is quite steep but they are really well made out of metal, waterproof and crush proof (I hope they don't get crushed on the ceiling!), they can be screw mount (with a cap that totally hides the screw or sticky fix (mine are screwed in). Ebay Item number: 350401068720
I'll put in a brighter light for over the hob/sink, I'm still working on that one - but think I can get an LED light of 875 lumens for only 12.5W (1.25A) but at only 15mm thick for a surface mount. They are about £90 but I've come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for with this 12V camper lighting... One LED light is not as good as the next, there is some cheap rubbish out there and it seems that tubes are still much more energy efficient for the lumens (light output) that you achieve - if you have the space for a tube that is.
When they say "super bright" ask them how bright they mean - "super bright" for the bloke in the film "buried" was a zippo ;) I'll let you know how I get on with this one...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts