VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've almost finished to build a u shaped sofa and I'am about to order some foam on line.
I was wondering what thickness you would recommend for the mattress?

cheers,

Laurent

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
4- 6 inch is normal
So many choices.
4-6" in soo many variations of firmness or dual density or even memory foam too..
Best bet is to speak to the supplier or an upholsterer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers.
I was thinking about 12 cm (about 5 inches), so you confirmed my thought.

mungo-vw, I will try to upload some photos this weekend.
Still have to build the part of the frame that goes along the tailgate, but the weather is not nice enough to be working outdoor!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks for your answers.
I was thinking about 12 cm (about 5 inches), so you confirmed my thought.

mungo-vw, I will try to upload some photos this weekend.
Still have to build the part of the frame that goes along the tailgate, but the weather is not nice enough to be working outdoor!
look forward to seeing some pics

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
look forward to seeing some pics
Here you go.
That was my very first attempt to build something. I was going to follow the usual route for the conversion, but going to France soon and learnt I had to sleep in the van for a week. The girlfriend was not very keen on the idea of sleeping on a mattress on the floor, so I thought I would try to build something more comfortable in just a couple of weeks.

There are quite a few things I would do differently(and I probably will when I get back from holidays)
For instance, I would not choose 12mm thick boards as they have to much flex, and due to limited budget I could not change them, so I've screwed batons all the way around.

and this is what I use to fix the boards on the frame. easy to take off, and easy to put back on.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We have used a U shaped layout in our T5 and went for 2.5 inch thick high density foam with 12oz Dacron. Couldn't ask for anything better, it's perfectly comfortable to sit on and sleep on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts